Daily Logs- Post Trip Inspection

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by deathB4decaf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, it is paranoia... it is also an easy argument to dismiss.

Now, I am in no way suggesting a driver should never do a full inspection, but I believe it is honest to say that if you are inspecting your own truck or one that has been assigned to you for some time you can do an inspection much quicker than if you're doing one for the first time as you learn the quirks and wear patterns of the truck.

As far as dismissing that argument? Firstly, if the crash was someone else's fault they would most likely have to show cause as to how an inspection on your vehicle had any bearing. Secondly, to say the truck wouldn't have been exactly there if another 10 minutes (or whatever) had been spent on an inspection is pure fiction. It requires everything else that happened that day (especially traffic) to have remained exactly static, which is not the case. Lastly, insofar as the inspection itself; that was then, this is now. Whatever conditions existed then, do not exist now and so it is not the same inspection, it is a different inspection.

However, company drivers should adhere to company policies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Just wanted to say I love the user name Deathbeforedecaff lol

stwik and Streetroddreams Thank this.
  4. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    We use a 3rd party auditor for our logs,and all they ask is that we show at least 15 minutes for an inspection daily. I do mine at the end of each day. My S I L drives for Ryder and the ELD system they have installed WILL NOT allow the truck to be moved or even started until 15 minutes have passed AFTER logging into the unit.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When I was on elogs I always did a good pretrip before I logged on. Then I'd show around 5-7 minutes on line 4 before I took off. Company whined that I needed to show at least 15 minutes but I never did. The regulations state that the driver make sure everything on the truck is in good working order but doesn't specify that you even had to flag it on your logs. Same for the post.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And since you were already breaking the law by working while not on-duty, why do you think the company didn't believe you? You either were lying about the pre-trip, or lying on your logs. Either way you were lying....

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    If the company is not paying me for that 30 minutes, then I'm not logging it. I have 70 hours available for purchase every 8 days. The company is going to have to pay for every minute that they control.

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    15 minutes for a post-trip? :biggrin_2559:

A post-trip should be to check tires, lights and leaks. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes and can be flagged as per the regs (on paper) and logged as it's done (on elogs).

Now, a PRE-trip requires 15 minutes on-duty, not driving time.

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Where does it show that in the regulations?

10. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The question my boss is now asking me is if it is necessary for our guys to do a post trip inspection on vehicles we are "flipping". They purchase a lot of vehicles and typically we only drive them from the lot we purchased them from and then back to our location. After that they are sold to another customer and we do not drive them again.

11. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    HAHAHA, thank you! It's my life motto.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.