Dalhart to Nara Visa.

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by starmac, May 2, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I was west bound on 54 one night with some pretty good wind blowing. Somewhere ahead of me was another truck running the same direction, He was running about the same speed as I was, so I never caught im, but could hear him on the radio loud and clear. I hadn't gone far after passing through Dalhart when I heard him tell an east bound truck that there was a fire with a lot of emergency vehicles to watch out for..
    I am on the lookout, but never see anything and he keeps telling every east bound we meet the same thing all the way to the state line.
    At first I thought he had a good radio and was quite a bit ahead of me, but by the time we got to the line I had just decided he was some kind of a nut. I finally ask him where it was that he imagined seeing a fire complete with a bunch of emergency vehicles. He explained that the vehicles weren't there by the time he went through, but had to be on the way. Ok, it is night, and I sure hadn't seen any flames or even anything resembling a fire, so I ask again, where was the fire supposedly.
    He came back with didn't you run through all the smoke just this side of dalhart, you could barely see through it. I ask if he smelled that smoke, cuz, it sure wasn't smoke. lol
    Anyone familar with the area knows there is two large feedlots, one on each side of the highway, and his smoke was dust blowing out of the pens. lol
    Cowboys will tell you that smoke smells like money. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Burns

Frank Burns Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    What a dummy... lol

Feedlots smell nothing like smoke from a grass fire or a farmer burning off his crop stubble.

x1Heavy and Intothesunset Thank this.
  4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    That is a good road to drive. To get to NM and not pay the permit for driving there.
    That scale in Nara Visa is almost always closed.

x1Heavy and Frank Burns Thank this.
  5. Frank Burns

Frank Burns Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You pass through Dumas on your route?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    No I usually drove us 54 going to New Mexico, or west from Tucumcari.
    Dumas is on US 287.

x1Heavy and Frank Burns Thank this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I think they finally closed the old truckstop at Nara Visa, but I have sit at it and watched the scale before when it was open. It would usually close around 11 at night when it was open.
    I sat there one night though till 1 in the morning. I had not been home in about a month, finally called my wife to come get me and went back for the truck the next evening. lol

8. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Was that way back before you moved to Alaska?? o_O

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    #### that brings back memories.

Imagining that into a all out 14 alarm fire storm.

HA. He's a little tired I bet ready for some bit of rest.

Frank Burns Thanks this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I lived 45 miles from Nara Visa for over 20 years, and we baled hay in KS, I ran 54 when I was coming home back then all the time, and a lot after I went back to otr too, just depending.

Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. I miss Nara Visa wonder what happened to Mary and her sisters Carolyn and one other tLujans who ran the cafe?
    I know they lived in Logan and commuted to NV. they were one of the ones of course with the economy in the toilet that when the NV truck terminal shut down for good around 2010.
    cuz you could smell that Excel feedlot for miles and miles as you approached it out there near dalhart..
    I know Mary's older brother Eugenio Gene is they called him he died last year in October.. he used to run the field desk what's his little chihuahua Pepe I remember a lot of times when the cafe would close the truckstop part would be open.. I'm glad you can sit down and watch a movie if Mary was working she turn on a VHS tape at the time..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.