Damaged Trailer

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Beaver9, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Do brokers want to know about damage to the trailer or truck when serving their shipper and receiver?
    Do you drop an owner operator after a claim is filed for the loss?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Who is a ar fault?
    Shipper/receiver?
    Why drop a driver if he had nothing to do about it.
    aid it’s a small bump, and he owned up and even offered to make it right, things happen.
    Here’s you a saying.

“If you’re not breaking something, you’re not working.”

Oxbow and Loadassisen Thank this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I had a shipper damaged my truck, I was trying to resolve it with the shipper. However, the shipper called the broker, the broker told me that he’ll handle my claim. At the end, the broker paid for the damages and lend me one of he’s trucks while mine was getting repaired at the body shop.

Oxbow and Concorde Thank this.
  5. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    Shippers/receivers might have an insurance that doesn't really want to pay, or give you an offering for the damage. The damage is $8,000, not mentioning loss of profit. But the receiver's insurance might want to pay $1,200 for everything. So the carrier is left with making a claim on their own using their own insurance to pay. So, then they can go after their insurance.
    It's actually my situation. The receiver damaged my trailer during unloading, forklifting into the wall of the trailer. The damage is on the inside and outside. I ended up using my insurance to pay for the physical damage.

Shippers and receivers damage trailers often I was told. So, if they have many claims their insurance goes UP. They might play a victim themselves trying to give you a small offering on BIG damage. Would you accept it? That would mean running FREE.

6. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    WOW. What a wonderful broker.

My broker went SILENT after I informed about the damage to my trailer. Other broker after I mentioned there was damage to my trailer, stopped using us as well. ALL suddenly went silent.
    I don't think shipper or receiver want to make it right. They want to pay it cheap. I don't think I will ever make a mistake waiting for a shipper or receiver to make it right. They are just buying time, so they are making the situation much worse for the carrier.
    They will tell you they will handle it well. Not to worry. But then the truth sinks in and you see they didn't plan to make it right at all, chipping at the driver like that.

I don't know if BROKERS take revenge when a carrier wants to get what he's owned to restore his equipment. Shippers/Receivers might have terrible insurance working for them. Their goal is to appraise it as low as possible and to pay little. It's not even appraised in shops. They have offices to supply them with written appraisals. Their agents never stepped a foot at the shop.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    He just takes care of his customers. He told me whenever there’s an incident with the shipper or receiver, to contact him first. He’ll handle it. Im good with it.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  8. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    You don't see it often. Maybe if you are working directly with the shipper for a long time, but a broker. Just WOW.
    Mine didn't even much apologize for the damage. Getting silent treatment is telling a lot. And that's what I've got. Not only that I lost 60% of my business, not given another load after the claim.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I’d have my insurance go after them, photos that they did damage.
    Yours won’t go up, mine didn’t the time they damaged mine anyway.

I haul dedicated pretty much now, mostly same place in KS, sometimes DH back, unless i can find something to bring back within same area to not miss next load.
    So that helps minimize dealing with that issue nowadays

10. OscarGoldman

OscarGoldman Light Load Member

May 9, 2022
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    A receiver damaged my roof with empty pallets delivery. They blatantly denied any wrongdoing, blaming it on the shipper. I don't jump on the roof every time I am loaded and verify, but it was the receiver because their docks height was low and they had to break down the stacks of pallets to pull them out for each one of them.
    I photographed everything and said the manager that it was their fault and I'd get back to them. I called the broker too, but they did not care. It was between me and the receiver, they said.
    It turned out that the damage cost me a little over $100, after a shop put it a patch on it. And I had to cancel a reload that day too.
    I let it go but the distaste still remains even today when I happen to think about it. Those scumbags would certainly raise hell, if you were to damage something theirs and trivial like a gutter spout. Normally, had it cost me more and I would have been more persistent and called their insurance and if they were to ignore that too, then yeah, I'd consider legal options. I would expect that your insurance would try to press them somehow to reveal any wrongdoing, so the claim is on them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.