DD15 SHUTTING DOWN

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Inmsa, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Inmsa

Inmsa Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2019
    So I bought a truck and changed complete fuel system because of metal shavings in fuel filters first I only changed injectors and then changed again injectors and complete fuel system (changed fuel housing, pump, LP Lines, HP Lines, injectors and fuel rail, all new, plus a good tank cleanup). Now I am having the following codes and behavior:
    SPN 723 FMI 11 Camshaft position sensor failure.
    SPN 636 FMI 2 No match of camshaft and crankshaft signals.

I changed Camshaft pos sensor and cleaned up crankshaft position sensor harness and connection.

Engine idles good but Whenever I accelerate the engine to 800-900 rpm a set of codes appear 651 652 653 654 655 and 656 fmi 3 and either engine shuts down or idles erratically until I click clear all faults in DDDL.

Can you guys please give this broke and poor man a hand to make the truck work?

It seems to be tied up together and I cannot find any info on SPN 723 FMI 3 or 636 FMI 2.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Inmsa

Inmsa Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2019
    It is a 2012 Cascadia Dd15 EPA10.

4. Vegas unlimited

Vegas unlimited Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Ask it to member mhyn. He will help you.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Not being very familiar with the DD15 I can only speculate. Is either the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors located on the fuel pump you replaced? If so, I bet that pump needs to be timed.

I'll defer to mhyn though. He knows these engines very well.

Judge and bzinger Thank this.
  6. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    almost always in my experience with the dd15's a problem like this lies within the engine harness

chimbotano and magoo68 Thank this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    SPN 723 FMI 3 refers toa Camshaft Position Sensor fault.

Section 56.2
    SPN 636/FMI 2

This fault indicates there is no match of camshaft and crankshaft signals.‪

1. Are there any other camshaft (SPN 723/FMI 3 or 4) or crankshaft (SPN 636/FMI 3 or 4) circuit faults active?
      1. Yes, repair circuit failure first, if the problem is still present after circuit repair, go to the next step.
      2. No, go to the next step.
    2. Has the engine been recently overhauled or had valve train maintenance?
      1. Yes, verify proper camshaft timing and gear lash adjustment. Refer to "1.16 Gear Train and Engine Timing"in the “Engine” chapter in the DD15 Workshop Manual (DDC-SVC-MAN-0002) for procedure.
      2. No, go to the next step.
    3. Remove the Camshaft Sensor (CMP Sensor).
    4. Inspect the CMP Sensor for physical damage.
      1. If damaged, replace the CMP sensor.
      2. If no damage is found, verify proper camshaft timing and gear lash adjustment. Refer to "1.16 Gear Train and Engine Timing" in the “Engine” chapter in the DD15 Workshop Manual (DDC-SVC-MAN-0002).

8. Vegas unlimited

Feb 18, 2020
    Are you a mechanic ?

wtokhi Thanks this.
  9. Vegas unlimited

Feb 18, 2020
    OP. Open the valve cover. On driver side camshaft you will see the tone ring. Its in front of gear. It could be lose... ;)

armo Thanks this.
  10. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    yes i am

11. Davud_de

Davud_de Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2019
    O had the same problem with the same 2012 cascadia,it’s still broken down in NC and so far I walked away from it but the only thing I didn’t do was drop transmission and pull out flywheel and clutch and make sure that’s in order because mine started when I replaced a clutch

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.