Decision: Mercer or Landstar?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Bigdubber, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Bigdubber

Bigdubber Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    To make a long story short, I have made up my mind to switch (am a company driver at present) to the O/O realm (prayerfully before year's end).

My research has resulted in the two companies stated above as my choice to choose from. Both have (as do most things in life, eh!) pros and cons.

So I am reaching out to y'all that are Mercer O/O's to educate me on the reality at Mercer Land... :biggrin_25525:

Most of my experience is in the dry van and reefer arena (I've done a little open deck, would need a "refresher" on load securement) but I find many saying that there is more money in the open deck realm (correct me if I am in error please) so I am trying to decide whether to switch (if I did it would be to the step-deck) to pulling open deck freight or stay with what I am familiar with, dry van freight.

In all honesty, I would rather switch but am concerned about my physical ability to do the work. I am not all that old (only 59) but due to my lack of "taking care" of my health through the years (I'm not over weight either, just have creaky joints, etc) I find that my body is not as tough as it used to be and climbing on top of a load safely concerns me.

Also would appreciate some honest comments and opinions of whether Mercer has the step-deck freight to keep me busy year round?

Lastly (for now... lol) I would appreciate some honest opinions (please NO trash/bashing type comments, there's enough of that to be found already) as to why Mercer would be a better choice over LS.

I thank y'all in advance for your time and your honest opinions/comments.

Be safe, be happy and be blessed. ~BigDubber

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Runnin

Runnin Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    If you are more familiar with dry van then stay in that realm.
    Both Landstar and Mercer both have dry van in addition to open deck.

poppy"s toy and Bigdubber Thank this.
  4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I am with mercer, I am 56 and have creaky joints as well. I pull a flat been there 3 years.

I would say an advantage to mercer since you haven't been an o/o is mercer having coordinators to help with booking their loads.

as you learn the system, the coordinator can give as much or as little help as you want.

landstar doesn't have coordinators.

and why are you leaning toward stepdeck? mercer also offers a day of flatbed training for those without recent flatbed exp.

poppy"s toy, Bigdubber and Runnin Thank this.
  5. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Personally I would recommend flat or van before stepdeck. To many drivers have gone to step and less freight available to step.
    Van you will be able to run harder with less deadhead but around 1.50 mile. Flat you will have twice the available freight of step at the same rate.
    Being a new O/O might be a problem getting on at either but maybe not.
    I'd really recommend going to the truck show and check out lot of companies and the different freight in 2 weeks.

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I,m turning 61, tired back and joints that ache. I have been flat bed my whole life. I can not see myself ever going over to van. You will find that the exercise of throwing straps chains and tarps is good for you. climbing up and down the trailer is good exercise. Be as safe as you can.

The only harm that open deck work has done to my body, is in my knees. I no longer hop off the side of the trailer, I climb off the front or the back or use a ladder. Flatbed work is very satisfying.

Bigdubber and Hegemeister Thank this.
  7. Bigdubber

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Reason(s) are (step instead of regular skate board) is the step being closer to the ground... I think the "extra work" involved in open deck would be good (need of exercise) for me... better paying freight (usually)... the dry van realm can get me into some nasty-tight backing in situations that I'd rather not deal with...

8. Bigdubber

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    God knows I wish I could go! Not this year... hopefully next!

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Also look at Farm2Fleet website.

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i don't think farm is really into flat freight. he's more into van seems like.
    i've heard of 1` or 2 flats but don't know if they are still around.

every time i look at the board, van seems to be better pay. least, out of my home area.

you also gotta consider fuel economy. van does better then open decks. your not fighting the wind dynamics on a van.

flat is nice when it comes to exercise. but sucks when it comes to fuel.

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  11. Bigdubber

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Thanks... I shall do that, I remember running across them last year so I'll need to look again and refresh my memory.

P.S. We've "chatted" last year a little... and I've only recently gotten back into TTR so I am "out of date"... did you retire from the road? What are y'all up to these days?

God bless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.