Dedicated Dollar General vs Walmart

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by AnotherDay, Feb 12, 2014.

1. AnotherDay

AnotherDay Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Northern MI
    Hey all,

First I want to say I have been invited to orientation, just trying to get some insider knowledge before making any decisions.

In my area they are hiring for dedicated accounts of Dollar General and Wal-Mart. I am just trying to get some feedback to compare them and see what other drivers think. I have searched and know all about pushing/pulling/dragging roll-tainers for the dollar general account. Not to mention the parking! (I currently work for a local dairy distributor and deal with carts up to 1800lbs frequently. And service 4 dollar generals twice a week.) I haven't been able to find much information about the walmart runs though and would love to hear if that would be a better option for me.

I enjoy driving and don't mind physical labor, really just am looking for pay and weekly home time. Thus I looked into the dedicated runs. Thanks for any reply's!

- AD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    Walmart.

Any general merchandise loads (GM) you would take to a Walmart store will be a drop and hook. The same applies to loads you would take back to a Walmart DC. The folks in the office treat dedicated drivers as well as us Private Fleet drivers.

I cannot speak to how Dollar General personnel would treat you, but I do know that deliveries to Dollar General stores are not drop and hook. Their locations are too small to handle dropped trailers.

If you have more questions about Walmart, come on over to the following thread.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/wal-mart/212372-walmart-here-i-come.html

Best wishes to you.

4. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    We normally do reefer loads. Which Walmart are they offering you? I did Auburn IN for a little while. It was all reefer and backhauls were rare. We had our own dispatchers there. You have to be on the dock to grab the stickers off the pallets. Store personnel do the unloading. You usually have 2 or 3 stops then head back to the DC.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    DG is work, a lot of guys get into it and realize that it's a bit much. You really need to be in good shape before starting as it's too physical right off the bat to put someone into shape. Moneys okay and you'll have a 5 day work week for the most part. I'd personally choose Wal Mart myself. A few less dollars a week but there's a difference between hard work and just outright killing yourself for a paycheck.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  6. AnotherDay

Feb 12, 2014
    Northern MI
    So would the Walmart be 5 day work week like the DG?

I'm not sure which Walmart it is, I'll ask the recruiter. I'm leaning towards Walmart as well... sounds like a better job overall as I'm killing myself now, and I know that I physically can do it for a while, as I have, but in the long run I'm risking injury and all lot of fatigue.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I'm pretty sure they got days off. I was otr so they just ran me as much as they could. After a couple weeks it was time for my student to upgrade so we left.

8. AnotherDay

Feb 12, 2014
    Northern MI
    So the Walmart gig I was van and reefer in MI, OH, IN. Home for reset's and 800-900$ a week to start out, where DG would be same home time and 900-1000$ starting. (I'm coming in with 2 years exp) 35cpm non-sliding scale + stops. Sound fair?

I have been talking to my DG's I service now and it seems like some places are very driver friendly and take good care of the parking lot's snow/ice but other's could care less. So hit and miss, but at least they understand up here that life is difficult in the winter.

9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats AnotherDay !

Welcome to US Xpress

10. dmb0701

dmb0701 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Gulfport, MS
    how is the home time with a family dollar acct. There is an open position running out of Gulfport, MS. I am thinking about trying to take that route. Just being home is very important to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.