Dedicated or OTR first?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Rocknroller4, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Hey everyone again. Joining Schneider but can't decide what would be a better fit. I really want to see the country but not sure which would be better to start off with as a rookie? SNI do have a National Dedicated. Not exactly sure what it means but apparently you go all over the states to help out with dedicated accounts? so compared to OTR.. I don't exactly know what the pay will be like or the routes. Their job site claims you can make up to 81K a year... (LOL!) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I’d suggest going otr first. It will teach you how to run and teach you the basics. OTR is fun at times, every day is a different day.

Dedicated basically means you are going to the same customers every day or every week. You will also be going to the same terminal. You will be back Friday nights or Saturday mornings, do your reset and leave Sunday nights or Monday mornings.

If you live in Florida and the dedicated terminal is in Maryland, it won’t benefit you. Don’t fall for this trap.

Rocknroller4 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Personally I would start out with the dedicated and then move to OTR knowing what I do now, at least for the first 3 to 6 months. You learn to plan your days and practice backing at the same locations for a while. You'll know where you will be stopping every night, and know what time you need to be there to get a good spot.

I remember my first month driving was OTR and while it was exciting to be out alone, I was also nervous and made a lot of noob mistakes.

5. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Years ago; I started dedicated. It was the best thing I did. Running familiar areas and places helped me become comfortable with my skill set. Then, when I was a better driver I drove OTR..it’s kinda hard doing OTR going to new and unfamiliar areas each day when you are just starting off: just my 2 cents on it....

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some “experienced driver only” carriers you may want to apply to 12-18 months later don’t place too much value on recent “local only experience”

7. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Thanks. I will apply for the National Dedicated position and take it from there.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You can make up to a million dollars buying a lottery ticket. Anytime you see "up to" ignore what follows. It's a marketing gimmick. You simultaneously believe YOU will make that amount and believe you will make AT LEAST 80% of that amount even if you screw up every day.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The national dedicated guys tend to be happy, but most of them stay out 10-20 weeks at a crack. After 4 weeks they get $400 plus all normal pay, so the incentive is to stay out long.

If you want regular home time, go otr.

If you don't want to unload, use lift gates, make home delivery, etc, go otr.

If you're fine working any work configuration, then Nat Dedicated will work. They guy running it is a good manager.

Rocknroller4 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  10. JoshG210

JoshG210 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Pembroke, GA
    I start orientation with Schneider on Tuesday and I went dedicated with them. My reason why is because the account is 20 minutes from my house and like the others have said you'll be going to the same stops and places, I like the idea because in a way you'll know how many miles you'll be driving each week and the pay will be about the same each time. Best of luck on your journey.

11. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    I ran Schneider dedicated out of Columbus, Ohio for a year at the beginning and it was a good gig. It was a night thing and that was a little rough but it was also good driving at night with no traffic and easy parking in the morning after everyone left the truck stop. Good Luck!

Rocknroller4 and laaylor Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.