Diagnostic scanning tool

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sukhee, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Sukhee

Sukhee Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2021
    Hello everyone i wanna buy diagnostic scanning tool for my volvo truck 2008. But i dont have idea which one is good. Pleass advise me budget scanning tool

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You might find something in places like eBay or Amazon. The thing is at least from my perspective is why? If you don't know what to buy it looks to me to mean you have never used these devices. I don't recommend using one and not know how to use it properly!

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Using them presumes you own the truck. Company trucks have a 4 digit password on them to stop the drivers from over riding the governor that limits hp and top end speed. Now you might be able to ask in the mechanics section if you are a company driver, what the code might be.

As to use of the device. There is usually nothing that can be changed other than clearing of codes. Or parts look up. Yet a good mechanic will know if something is giving you a false reading.

Maxico or OBDzon have better displays. Tho you can expect to pay around $200. Yet like I said above. Your just going to be wandering around with out the ability to change anything. To change something will require a higher end tool or software and usually a laptop with some pricey software. Pricey like $2000-$5000!

wis bang Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is a subject I don't know anything about! I am, however, under the impression that each engine maker has proprietary software that in some situations is tied to a specific engine. As @lovesthedrive correctly stated in some situations CMV owners have set up passwords. I have had more than one mechanic say getting into these trucks' computer modules and not being done correctly can cause some real damage! You own the truck that's one thing! Otherwise, I highly recommend staying OUT of those systems!

Edit! I have also heard (not verified) that today's CMV computer modules have a memory register that contains information about the dates and time the last change is made and can identify the software that did it.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You cant get in to do damage with a hand scanner. You need the laptop interface to alter the code. The hand scanner is merely going to tell you what the fault code means. Tho unless you know how and what codes effect what. A private owner will be worse than the mechanic fresh out of high school. As they will get a reading and be told this sensor is at fault. Yet the mechanic may know that sometimes it isnt the sensor, yet a defective plug.

Case in point. My 2009 dodge 2500 4x4 pickup says I have a bad gas cap. In reality it is the down pipe that has a pinhole in it. That pinhole stops the emmissions from making 1 psi pressure in the fuel supply. To fix it I need a $400 fuel pipe. Or I can just live with it. The latter is what I am doing.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    There is also “hacker” software available to allow you to sneak past the password should you choose to engage in such nefarious behavior.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Don't know if the latest engines are different but a tech I knew [snap n tool box one could live in] had a collection of $2500 to $5000 boxes, one for each type of engine.

The guy who just replaced my pickup trans pointed out that the sensor that shows the code is the one AFTER what didn't work...

9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    They make bod readers for the trucks and car compatible.
    It will allow you to force regents clear codes and go more in depth. I have one snd it works good for my Detroit’s
    Let’s me know what sensor and can also do a bit of live stream to pinpoint.
    Not a substitute for a bi directional scan to but will do basic troubleshooting like a OBD Will for a car

10. Sal001

Sal001 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Michigan
    You can buy many and none of them will work because those scanners are not registered and you need to register them first.
    Don't waste your money shopping in Amazon or eBay.
    Try to find a used one which has been registered and it will work for you.
    Using the scanner is very easy and I am very sure any of you can use it much better than those idiot technicians from the dealers.
    The dealers are the real scammers,at least those of freightliner dealer I have no doubt about it.
    Having a scanner is very important and it will save you a lot of time and money.
    If you find any seller selling used one send me a link or phone number.
    It will be appreciated.

11. barcaVnl

barcaVnl Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2019
    I use this one , works great

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.