Did anyone see this about TMC?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Goldenfan, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I still remember when a recruiter from TMC came to my CDL class. All recruiters are full of it to some extent, but my BS meter was swingin off the scale when that guy made his pitch. I don't think one person in my class even considered them.

ducnut Thanks this.
  3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I tarped next to a TMC driver once. Guy was in love with the company. Had nothing bad to say about them.

Their trucks are pretty sweet too. Nice headache racks, clean setup.

As far as megas go, TMC and Maverick have my respect. Most of the time their loads are secured nice. Their tarp jobs are slick. Equipment clean.

Another flatbed mega I like too, but I can't remember the name right now, their trucks are a real pretty blue.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  4. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I got the impression that TMC is only for a specific type of driver. I think that drivers who don't want to do anything in life other than drive, and who are willing to accept style as a form of payment, might love TMC. But everybody else would probably hate them.

I rember when the recruiter started talking about their health benefits. The price for an employee to cover themselves and a spouse was significantly more expensive than for a driver to cover themselves and two or three kids. It's not unusual for employers to charge more for spousal coverage than child coverage, but TMC had the largest gap I've ever seen. It was like they priced it so high to discourage married drivers from taking it.

Based on that and several other things the recruiter said, I came to the conclusion that TMC wants drivers who are single men without kids and divorced men who are under court order to pay child support and provide health coverage. Basically, guys who can/have-to drive 365 days a year.

5. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Here my take on it. If the company has a dress code and grooming standard. You agree to that when you take the job. Dont like it, move on to another company. In all honesty, more companies need to enforce some kind of grooming and dress standards. Have you seen some of the idiots out there ?

6. S3V3N 0F N1N3

S3V3N 0F N1N3 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2023
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Yeah, TMC isn't all that great unless you're just doing it for fun or you're on a specialized division. Linehaul guys get #### loads unless you have a fleet manager that stands up for you (like my first one did). But they also have a bad habit of driving away fleet managers, so even if you have a great one you might not for more than a year.

Also the dress code isn't hard to follow right now; a shirt, jeans, reflective vest, hard hat, and safety glasses (or sunglasses) when you're securing a load or breaking down the securement at the cons.

The reason they get away with so much and can afford all the fancy #### they have is because Annett holdings brokers the load, taking 1/3rd of the gross, then TMC gets the load, and they take their cut (which doesn't include operating costs of the truck), and then they give the final number to the driver, and out of that final number the most you can get is 34%. And they do make up for ripping off drivers IF you've been there long enough to become vested in their ESOP program (6 years to be 100%). But most new hires don't even make it to the 1 year mark, so they don't get any of their ESOP paid out when they quit.

The hardest part with working for TMC is their percentage pay system, you have to be within 30 miles of the Monday delivery cons. by 2100 on Sunday to get park up points. You have to clean your truck spotless before you turn it in for its full service, and your mileage and out of route is watched heavily and also contributes or takes away from how much you get paid. And above all that, your revenue per week also effects the percentage you will get paid.

All last month I had #### load after #### load, with a hand full of good loads. And because my revenue dropped my percentage bottomed out at 27% this month, and it'll stay that way until next month when they do the next snapshot. If I had to choose between my old J.O.B. and TMC, I'd've stayed at my old J.O.B. because I'd at least get a consistent pay check.

newhorizions469 Thanks this.
  7. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    TMC sure draws a lot of emotions. Must be that Pete thing. Makes people see red instead of black I guess

Try getting into the military without a haircut. I went in in 1969. Those poor guys from California with shoulder length hair had a bad go of it in the barber’s chair.
    Of course my hair didn’t last much longer.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

Keim TS?
    DD3BF52D-8683-4FAD-9789-E0719957F2BA.jpeg
    Almost went to work there once, but didn’t want anyone from my area.

9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    No, it's more along the lines of TMC/Maverick.

But that's a nice truck there!

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Melton

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.