Did I do something wrong at this intersection? Video attached.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Don379, Oct 17, 2021.

1. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Yup, had one 2 days ago where I made a right turn. Less than 1/4 mile later needed to make a left where road Y'd. Rolled slow with blinker until I was clear. You may piss some people off behind you, but it's better than causing a wreck by jamming over.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Looked like monkey see monkey do to me. Glad it all worked out. (I’m assuming)

D.Tibbitt, PoleCrusher and Kyle G. Thank this.
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I don’t know if my opinion really matters at this point, but I agree that you did nothing wrong. I did see the guy had his signal on but still, that was totally the wrong way to make a turn, and I hate it when people do that crap!

Buttonhook=good

Jug handle=bad

5. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    im a pretty patient guy. I was just trucking along and knew where i was going. Didnt think twice about this guy wanting to make the turn. If i saw his trailer splitting lanes and hanging back, i would have known he was trying to make turn. I actully took a picture of said guy 2 miles back trying t pull his truck ito a gas station for whatever reason. The gas station absolutely cant fit a truck of that size into it. So The utility crew that was working out in the crew had to help him back out of it. I think he was trying to cut through.
    [​IMG]

Kyle G., D.Tibbitt and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The correct way he should have made the turn was to straddle the line to let everyone know he was going to turn, that would have prevented what happened. He had his turn signal on, and you didn't see it. Happens to all of us.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It looked to me that he WAS in the turn lane when you were way back behind the dumptruck, then he moved all the way into the left lane like 'oh crap, this is a turn lane'. Yes, he had his signal on, but how many times do you see a big truck driving down the road wasting blinker fluid waiting to make the eventual turn.

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Your video is a great example of the fact that roads are made for cars.

Your video is also a great example of how inexperienced or just plain dumb truckers make their turns as if they were in a car.

This juror votes for acquittal.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Swift straddles the yellow line and curbs it.

Looks like a tight turn. 2 trucks knew it. And had turn signals on. 1 truck didn't know and wasn't paying attention.

When I see turn signals. I hang back.

I don't know how you all say the 2 trucks were in the wrong. They were using all available space needed for that turn. And 1 was trying to cut inside.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Lostmykey, Don379 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I will admit to making a turn from the wrong lane kinda like this as a result of being unfamiliar with the area and confused about the route itself. However, realizing I was in the wrong lane, I've never encroached on another vehicle like that. Always made sure lane was clear before actually turning, even if it meant inconveniencing the folks behind me.
    Fortunately, most of the time when I get into urban areas I haven't traveled before, I almost always have scoped out the route into and away from the major road(s) I'm coming from and going to. Unfortunately, I've still on occasion missed a turn and have to make a block or figure out some reroute to get where I'm trying to go. Usually, I'll find a place I can at least somewhat safely stop, put on my 4 ways and regroup.
    Anyway, I don't think the OP did anything wrong. But, I tend to lay back in such situations in case one of those trucks decided he'd need to get in that right hand turn lane. Too many idiots (despite myself, I've been known to be one of them too) to not play 'what if' and drive so that such moves by others don't create problems for me. I would have done like the OP did and get in the right hand lane when it opened up, but I would not have passed any of the trucks now to my left while creeping up to make the actual turn.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The op said he has been down this road a million times and never seen trucks do that before. It looks like a tight turn , but all of this could be avoided if that ####### that almost caused a wreck, split the lanes instead of trying to turn from the wrong lane and jumping the curb almost hitting another truck... i split lanes all the time and sometimes have to use 3 lanes to make the turn ... there is an art to it and the key is setting up correctly to let people know whats going on....this means blocking the right side with your trailer and blocking the left side with your truck.. It doesnt mean to leave your entire right side open with just your turn signal on and expect people to just get out of the way for you or to know what ur trying to do... but honestly this video doesnt even look like that... it looks like a drier misssed his turn and almost wrecked another truck because he wasnt paying attention to whats going on.

nredfor88, mjd4277, Flint1 and 11 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.