Did Roehl change their indebtedness amount for CDL training?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Keith48, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Times sure have changed in the industry. I started right out of school with Roehl (local tech college training). No contracts back in 2005. I made a commitment to myself to stick it out and to get my 2 year "stripe" on my shoulder before I would leave. I knew it would give me the ability to make a career move have a solid 2 years with one carrier. It was 2 years of pure hell during the learning curve. Women were expected to wash out of the program. I learned a good deal from the experience and survived. Still use much that I learned from Roehl to this day. They paid back to me the cost of my schooling by putting in my time. Left in 2008 to care for my father who had Alzheimer's. In 2010, I came back to Roehl as an owner operator with my 2nd truck (my avatar picture) and spent 3 1/2 years with them only to leave because I wanted to try picking my own freight with Schneider. I think they are having to get nasty with individuals who jump ship because it does cost a carrier to train and get a driver up to productive levels. Back in 2006, I had heard the cost was around $3,000. So my advice is some advice given to me by a mentor, who was also an owner operator with Roehl...get in, sit down, shut up and drive the truck! Found out his advice worked and made decent money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasPhoenix

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Is this 600-700 a week before or after taxes and benefits? If it is net it is about average for a new inexperienced company driver take home after everything is taken out. Hone your game and prove your worth to your fleet manager you will move up in pay.

4. TexasPhoenix

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Unfortunately the state of Wisconsin is a hire at will fire at will state. Neither side has to give a reason. Since the main office is Wisconsin that is how employers do it up here in the north woods.

5. 250

250 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2018
    Took cdl A class from roehl. Always told keep mvr clean, it's your lifeline. Mine is. Now looking for another driving job, cant get one since they also use another report that I was never told about in their school. Not getting much help figuring out what to do. Also I owe $6200 since I didn't complete 75000mi with an 2 yrs. When I signed contract I thought part of dept forgiven for every certain amount of miles driven until 75000 reached. Just found out all or nothing. Very frustrating. As a new driver I did the reacherse and thought I had everything covered. The recruiters just want you in the door, aren't always upfront about your questions when they answer them.

6. Rollr4872

Rollr4872 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    That’s a bummer to hear that happened to you, did you ever find out what the other report is that they use that is preventing other companies from hiring you? You didn’t complete the miles they require as you were there or is there a certain amount of time you have to finish those miles in? You said you didn’t complete them in two years so I wasn’t sure if you mean you left at two years without reaching them or two years came and you hand reached them so they said you owed everything for not conpleting it in a certain amount of time. That’s what they made it sound like as well, that as you drive for them you were paying them off, not that you owe the entire sum if you don’t reach their requirement.

7. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Well, as of september of 2019 Rohel now charges $7,000 for cdl training. I also found out that there is no longer a grace period in GYCDL or phase 2; if you are terminated before going solo for work preformance, expect to receive the bill. I failed their training program during phase 2. 3 weeks after Rohel terminated me, I received a $7,000 bill from them. Had I known that their contract is set up this way, I would have went to swift academy instead.

8. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    I've uploaded an image of Roehl's contract as of 2019 for anyone that is interested in reading it.

Attached Files:

9. James S

James S Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Stupid quesiton: If you've signed up with roehl online and are in the process, but have not yet gotten your Conditional Learners' permit and have not gone to their CDL school in any way, Do you somehow still owe that 7grand if you decide to go with a different company/go with a different job offer? The contract wording is vague on that point as far as I can tell. It would be incredibly ridiculous to owe money for a service that was never provided, however you do e-sign a contract before that point.

10. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Yep, the way it is written seems to be if you are accepted then you owe them.

11. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    From the way their contract is written; you are obligated to pay $7,000 as soon as you sign the contract should they terminate you/you quit. They are not kidding about tacking on collection fees ether. My bill went up to $8,300 when it went past the 30 day mark.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.