Different spin on old question , Landstar or Mercer?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by JLT, Apr 25, 2016.

1. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    If you have a 53' all aluminum flat conastoga which company would be best to go with? Just trying to do my due delligence before I pull the trigger. Thanks for any help .

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    If you ask Landstar guys they'll tell you landstar and if you ask mercer guys we'll tell you mercer. With that trailer honestly it's prob no different. You'd just have to see which company you like better. But why a 53? A regular 48 will get the job done. Reason being any load 53' long that needs to be covered 8 ft high is prob ran by a mega

jacquesi23, sawmill and JLT Thank this.
  4. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Just thought I could haul some van frieght if ever in a bind. I'm so confused on what trailer to by, do I go with flat, step deck , 3 axle , 2 axle step deck, 53, 48, conastoga ???? I'm talking about a lot of money so I want to get it right if at all possible. What's a mega TaylorMade? Thanks

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Ps I'm leaning heavy to Mercer, the Landstar recruiter was sort of conceded , she didn't even want to talk about anything until I filled out the app and get approved, Dawn at Mercer has been very helpful and kind, and I like the Golden Rule myself.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    If you don't like tarping go with a regular 48 conestoga. If you don't mind tarping then go with a all aluminum regular 48 flat if money isn't a issue. The volume of loads will pay for itself. If you ask Dawn which trailers makes the most revenue she'll tell you top 3/5 are flats. At least that was the case when I started last year. One rule of thumb is to never buy a specialized trailer unless you have the work, in other words dedicated freight. Other than that grab a flat a and thank me later the same way a lot of us thanked the other mercer Vets on talking us all into going flat

7. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Well a Conastoga isn't really for hauling van freight. Also a lot of flat loads shippers are hesitant to use conastogas. But that's often because they don't know better. Flat or Step? Again up to you, but I tend to see steps sitting a little more then flats. But not always.but often enough for me not to pull a step. They really don't make enough more money anymore to be worthwhile to me. They are a dime a dozen now. But they do get more OD loads. Why 3 axels? Your choice but unless you have a specific customer that is near your house or going to get you home it's probably a waste of your money. That's just my opinion but....

As for LS or Mercer? That really is on you. Both companies have their good points. I know LS drivers that are very happy. I am happy at Mercer and couldn't think of leaving. I know LS drivers that couldn't make a dime there. Problem is I know Mercer drivers that have the same problem here. I blame failures on the people that failed not the companies. But some companies are much better fits to some drivers. You just need to know you as to which company you pick. For me the family atmosphere here was what sold me. And I've never looked back.

RERM, Razorwyr, Dominick253 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    TaylorMade that is the smartest answer I've heard on this whole forum!! Thank you so much for your wisdom and advice!

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You will not load van freight on a conestago. You are thinking a curtain side van. An entirely different type of trailer. And becareful with that cj guy. He actually was gonna get a van. A van, at a flatbed company. A few more steak dinners and we might stop riding him on that van thing. But i doubt it.

Op. Get a flat. Come to mercer. Drink the koolaid and don't look back. Thank us later. Medium rare.

10. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Lol!! Y'all are crazy but in a good way! I really appreciate it guys, this really helps out!

11. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Am I noticing a trend? Not one LS guy replied to this thread, much less said to go there.
    That's burnt

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.