Different spin on old question , Landstar or Mercer?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by JLT, Apr 25, 2016.

1. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Yes, weird bunch, no love in that family for sure, must not want any competition .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Ls has freight and agents that require 53 conestoga. If you have your heart set on a CS id go 53 to kinda break away from the pack a little. When I finally purchased my own trailer I went with a 53fl instead of a 48 for the same reason. Of course I do a lot of 48 flat stuff but, occasionally ill get calls about shippers needing a 53 flat. It paid off big time last year! Also some shippers don't want to load a CS because they don't know/aren't sure what it is. Whether you go with LS or mercer, both have positives and negatives......each company is not for everyone.

jacquesi23, CJndaTruck and JLT Thank this.
  4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    What is the minimum you should buy for a flatbed if you want to go with Mercer and are looking for a budget priced used trailer?

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The reality is, both companies got the same customers, and the freight contracts are with in pennies of each other. The difference, in my opinion, is the people. The folks at our office in louisville are just that #### pleasant to deal with. We even refer to our safety director as uncle lennie. At what other company do the drivers have such a friendly relationship with the head safety guy?

The more tangible differences:
    1. Landstar pays once a week. Mercer pays within an hour or two of delivery.
    2. Landstar files ifta and charges it back, mercer pays ifta out of their cut.
    3. At Landstar the agents make more if they broker a load out instead of putting it on a landstar truck. At mercer the agents can't broker loads out until every available mercer truck declines the load

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Good info

JLT Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Just get a trailer from mercer. Unless of course you find a super good deal on a trailer. A 48' 102 in good shape is the minimum trailer requirements. And a rear axle dump unless you like spending money on tires and suspension parts.

Or did you mean restraining equipment and tarps?

tommymonza and JLT Thank this.
  8. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    LS. There isn't much 53' flat conestoga freight I see at Mercer, and what stuff I do see there isn't a premium paid for it. You can look at just about every load that everyone here at Mercer sees, with the exception of a few "don't use broker truck" loads, you just need to know where to look for it.

JLT Thanks this.
  9. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Well, it IS in the Mercer section of the board.

Hegemeister and CJndaTruck Thank this.
  10. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Always seems like the LS vs. Mercer questions get posted in the Mercer section. Maybe the Mercer guys seem easier to approach?

Big John Classic HQ Thanks this.
  11. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Anyway. OP you should lean more heavily on conversations with several LS and Mercer guys. I wouldn't worry too much about the gruff nature of the LS qualifications people, even if they could benefit from a Dale Carnegie course, once you get done dealing with them you never talk to them again. The key is they day to day work you do and the environment you do it in, this is why I'd talk to lots of guys from both sides if I was you.

CJndaTruck and JLT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.