Dispatcher Problems? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by emoore0023, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Dispatchers, yes I've had a few over the years. Most were good, 1 co I worked at had college kids that had never been out of the county, reading a paper map to route me ! It's a learning experience in the trucking biz. Don't answer your phone on home time.

MSWS, tscottme and LoneRanger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Do not leave until you, OP, achieve this. You are having Trouble. Trouble is immortal. Do not run from anything immortal unless you want to continue running.

When you sign on, they explain to you their system, their policies, their pay scale, their trucks, your responsibilities and your home time. If you agree to their terms, you work there and bring your A Game.

If micromanage was not part of the program, we are not going to micromanage. If I have earned the home time, I am taking the home time. 1 day is a full 24 hours, not a second earlier. I don’t do favors, I don’t work for free, and hot loads pay double rate. My time is valuable so we are not going to have phone conversations when I am off duty. Got it?

Luck in battle.

GoneButNotForgotten and MSWS Thank this.
  4. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    You said your dispatcher wants you to make deliveries before the receiver's scheduled time. I have two questions about that

1) Are his delivery times unreasonable or are they just earlier than what the system has when the load comes over?

2) Have you ever arrived by the time he gave you only to have the receiver tell you that you're too early and will have to wait until the original time?

If the answer to either of those is yes, then you need to get him straightened out. If not, he might just be micromanaging you because you're new.

As for him calling you on hometime to come back early, that's UNACCEPTABLE. As others have said, don't answer him. Your time is your time, END OF STORY. If your company requires you to answer when you go home while under load, stop going home under load. Refuse to pick anything up before going home if that's gonna give them license to harass you on your time.

TripleSix and MrCharlieTodd Thank this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Start calling him on hometime after hours.
    1-2 in morning just to ask if your supposed to stay on say I-40 or I-55 for instance.
    When he finally asks wtf, tell him now he sees how it feels.

6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Awesome! :D

7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Do you push back and tell him you want to keep the original home time that was planned? If your going to leave him, it probably doesn't hurt to have the conversation.

8. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Depends…is this dispatcher a high producer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.