Do I have a problem?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Silver Bear, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Silver Bear

Silver Bear Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2017
    So we are new to the reefer game, second reefer load to be exact. Hauling fresh chicken from Pilgrim's Pride to Kroeger. Rate confirmation specified 20 to 26 degrees continuous. Bill of Lading only specified 26 degrees. So my driver set the unit to 26 degrees start/stop. After two hours on the road he got a call from broker's dispatcher that yelled at him for not setting it to continuous. He called me and I had him pull over and set it to 26 continuous. I have a trackable thermo sensor in the back of the truck that shows three cycles during these two hours, twice going to 33.7 degrees and once to 29.6 degrees before the unit kicked in and started cooling the box down (a 2018 Carrier 7300). Now since setting it to continuous, the sensor has been steadily showing 22.9 degrees.

Naturally, I am freaked out as there's a sensor that the shipper placed with the cargo and it will show these temperature variations. Should I be worried about the consignee rejecting the load? 30,000lbs of chicken will certainly make for an unforgettable Xmas... Please go easy on the noob.

NightWind and nax Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Always go by bill of lading from shipper. It's their freight not the brokers. I think you will be ok. Run continuous when you are told to do so.

Jazz1, nax and Silver Bear Thank this.
  4. Silver Bear

Nov 30, 2017
    If the Bill of Lading doesn't specify mode, is it driver's choice?

5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I would ask shipper who hands me the bol, pointing to the temp saying "this is to be set at xx° on continuous, correct" if thats what it says...

People make mistakes, and im not looking to run around with a bad load of chicken looking for a place to dump it.

NavigatorWife and nax Thank this.
  6. Silver Bear

Nov 30, 2017
    The BOL says "Set refrigeration unit at 26 degrees for the entire trip". I guess that could be construed as continuous. FML....I sure hope I don't get an insurance claim on my second load! :(

NavigatorWife and KillingTime Thank this.
  7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Its your second load, live and learn and figure out how to cover your arse every step of the way.

Be glad you know now, and not when you have your 100th load.

8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Hit 33 twice.
    I doubt it had time to thaw or grow bacteria..... Slight adjustment - if you're touching 33 @ a 26 start/stop then set it @ 22.... Shouldn't cross 30 before the unit kicks on again. It's like your trucks external thermometer - they run +/-3..... There's no exact measure, so aim lower.

Now park it in the hot Texas sun and let it bake like a load of Mexicans - we might have a legitimate problem.

And as @Blackshack46 suggests - ask: 'continuous?'..... He's a sharp fella for being a milk can toter. *rib*. :)

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Your fine I'm sure it was fresh product being run at 20 to 26°. It's not uncommon for a unit to go into defrost when loaded till the temp stabilizes. I wouldn't worry bout it nor mention it

Grubby and nax Thank this.
  10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Hope it's not going to Wal-Mart

11. HighwayD

HighwayD Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    In future, run it on continuous but you'll be fine this time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.