Do NOT stop for protesters

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by unloader, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    By this logic the pedestrians were "justified" in their response to the truck driver. The driver was on the wrong side of the road and made a turn into pedestrians in a crosswalk. Until the truck driver violated the law there was no risk of physical harm to either party.

The driver violated the law when he crossed the double yellow line to bypass stopped traffic.

He then further either failed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk or ran a red light (I can't see the lights on my little phone).

Say we didn't know why those people were in the street or why traffic was backed up - the only things we know is what we can see in that video. Very few people on TTR would defend the driver's actions. Delays are part of trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I absolutely would have stopped, run them over if they do not move, I was driving back during the LA riots ( and this is a riot), they are physically attacking his truck, trying to disconnect his trailer, another man climbing on his hood. I would push the car out of the way and drive out of there. This is a US Mail Load, attacking this truck is a Federal Crime, and yet no Police, because the Police are afraid to respond. They got the vertict they wanted and still they riot.

nredfor88, TokyoJoe, LTL Bull and 5 others Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If only that was true. It seems a vocal portion of the site has no problem murdering people by plowing into them because they are a little inconvenienced. They can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that if the truck driver didn't already commit assault none of this would have happened.

So to recap, assault with a deadly weapon (the truck) by the driver is fine as long as it means he doesn't have to wait on the intersection to clear of groups crossing the street.

And let's be clear here. That's exactly what happened. The truck driver didn't want to wait on the large group to finish crossing the street so he tried to bully his way through the crowd. They weren't in the street protesting, they were moving from one place to another. All the driver had to do was wait a minute or two like all the other drivers and the group would have been on their merry way.

John E., Muskie and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    If they were actually crossing the street then yes, if they're standing around in the street fiddle dicking around waiting to decide if they're burning #### to the ground or not then no. What it looked like to me was happening, of course I didn't watch much of the video.
    I just rewatched the video, from what you can see by where the video starts, they were standing around in the road not crossing the street. They're clearly standing in two of the other crosswalks, not crossing the street but just loitering in it.
    Did some of your parents not ever teach you not to play in the street? Were certain people just too stupid to grasp that concept? I grew up on a gravel road with a half a dozen vehicles a day going by and I successfully learned that simple life lesson.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    nredfor88, TokyoJoe, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    But if we knew that those people were coming from the Packer Game the "run em down" folks would be few a far between, and most would be Bear or Vikings fans making a "joke".

It's disturbing to me how "the appropriate way to protest" is often defined by what is being protested - BLM shutting down roads is anarchy but shutting down the MI capitol is exercising their constitutional rights (or vice versa).

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander. I may 100% disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

John E., ZVar and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That 1/4 a second seen could simply have been people stopping to see what the idiot driver was doing.
    Doesn't matter anyway. Let's say you are correct and they were blocking the street. The driver still has no right to commit assault with a deadly weapon just because he's inconvenienced. He easily could have stopped way before the intersection and called the cops, or done something else. You know, like all the cars the crowd didn't attack did. And maybe, just maybe they didn't attack the cars because the cars were smart enough to to commit a felony by assaulting them with a deadly weapon.

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Why else were they clearly standing in the crosswalk, or the out in the middle of the road somewhere, where the camera man was and the crosswalk 90 degrees to it? Assault with a deadly weapon? I didn't see anybody assaulted, the closest thing I saw there to assault was the people beating the #### out of truck, threaded maybe but certainly not assaulted much less with a deadly weapon. I also notice you all have nothing to say about the black van that was already in the same predicament as the truck driver.

TokyoJoe and rachi Thank this.
  9. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Do they make “gladhand locks” so people can’t disconnect your airlines? Worse case in my truck I’d just press the 5th wheel release button and haul culo. I’m not dying or getting assaulted for any job; luckily my Springfield hellcat holds 14shots

luckily it’s legal to run over rioters now in the great state of sunshine and oranges.

Muddydog79 and Northern Nomad Thank this.
  10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Florida Man is about to go on a rampage!

11. matthewnorman

matthewnorman Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2021
    Stay safe all, keep cool heads - yes use alternate routes. Wish everyone would calm down and have respectful dialogue.

mpd240 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.