Do not work for knight transportation!!!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by seawind, May 8, 2009.

1. BubbaTrucker

BubbaTrucker "Iam Hanging in there"

Nov 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You all have to remeber that knight has its up and downs just like every other company in the country.. if there is a perfect company out there, they would be the company with all the frieght because they will have all the drivers, everyone in the world would work for them.. i worked for knight twice and the 2nd time around is not bad, they know from my first time there is so much i will give and take ... just a thought. but this time, all is ok right now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. livinlife

livinlife Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Nevada
    Ups and downs? It think its a little more than that, i guess there are worse places to work, and if you came from somewhere else, maybe Knight seems like a step up. My husband's experience was just being stepped on, treated like crap, and then them saying" you like it, huh? Huh?. i was so happy to get him back home. he is doing heavy haul for the company he was with at the beginning of the year, he had misunderstanding with the owner and he quit. Well, we went back and talked to the guy and he was happy to have him back. My husband knows how to treat equipment, how to drive like bat outta hell to whereevere he is supposed to go, and get it there on time. The have gone thru 3-4 losers since my husband has been back, guys that call in with a headache, have to do laundry, my wife (the stripper) took my truck. But despite these people, the company is constantly busy and always looking for GOOD drivers. Need to like driving in cold weather, and LOVE throwing chains.:biggrin_25522:

Knight sucks, bottom line.

4. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    My friend has been working there going on 3 years in 2 more days. out 7-10 day home 1.5 to 2.5 days like clockwork. Worst week 2200+ best week 3600+ usually around 2600-2800. started at .34 to .42 now at .37 to .45pr ml. same dispatcher for over 2 years. turned in her last Volvo at around 550 in August and drives a 2011 Volvo VN670 with 40k on it now and counting.
    She does not like the DEF and 9speed on i,t but has not had any problems with dead batteries or air leaks like the one she turned in.

With a company the size of Knight which on their last statement doubled their O/O fleet and are now at over 3900 power units. You will have winners and losers.

And like another driver said they pretty much know how she likes to run and where and thats the loads she gets.

I also noticed when i picked her up at the yard that they have alot of new trl and trucks.

So DNA should call up a recruiter and get back on board. Even after a year out of a truck they will give you another chance to succeed. Knight hires hundreds every year who left for greener pastures and they keep coming back.

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    My guess is, if they "keep coming back," to Knight, it is simply because they can't find anything else. Oh, and their unemployment ran out. . .

I'm not saying there are not "worse" companies to work for. I'm sure there are. But that sure is a "left handed complement."

Dna Mach and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  6. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Big Don after reading the last few posts here Maybe you, DNA Mach, and I should crawl into Corporate offices in Phoenix and grovel and beg to be gifted our old jobs back!:biggrin_25514:

BTW, did you see the Weather channel last night?
    They are calling for a major blizzard and record snowfall IN HELL!!!
    :biggrin_2559:

Dna Mach, JimDriv3r and Big Don Thank this.
  7. DriversNeededNow

DriversNeededNow Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I worked for Knight a few years ago and have tons of horror stories about them. Our "Chicago Manager" was married to a Knight daughter. Corporate sent $50 WalMart gift cards for EVERY driver in Chicago. The Mgr and his wife took most of them for themselves and only a few "special drivers" got their "Christmas Bonus". I had to threaten lawsuit to get nearly $400 in back pay after giving proper notice to quit. Horrible company. When you see a company that has in the contract "fine print" that if you leave for ANY REASON within 90 days of hire, you owe them for transportation to orientation, physical endurance testing, dot physical, drug screen, motel room and their dried up sub sandwiches. They started me at $.32 per mile. With their cheating "computer miles", I actually was paid less that $.245 mile for actual, real world miles driven. The Volvos were okay but needed constant service. So while you waited and waited and waited for their service people to fix your truck, you lost your load and could usually figure spending another day without a load. The speed was governed at "their 65 miles per hour" which was exactly 63 MPH real world. They were always short trailers and you spent more hours driving around looking for trailers than you did driving loads. A token $20 after you complained that you just spent 9 hours looking for an empty trailer. Horrible company. If you're detained for more than 10 hours, they tell you they didn't collect it from the shipper so they can't pay it to you. Yeah, detainment was an ongoing situation. I staying the 90 days and got the heck out of there. A driver I knew who lived in Chicago got in a heated telephone "discusion" with his driver mgr and they cancelled his load to be picked up, immediately shut off his fuel card and they wouldn't get him back from Michigan. He had no extra money for the fuel and was forced to leave his truck at a TA Truck stop. He hitched a ride with another driver back to Chicago. Then, they charged him for someone else to get the truck and put on his DAC report that he "abandoned his truck". Great people. Like someone else said Lil Red Swift. The Knight bigwigs are all from Swift originally. They lie, cheat and steal from every driver they hire. Make sure, if you work for them, that you keep ALL your transflowed documents and bills. They tell you that once transflowed you can destroy them... Right, that's just one way they cheat you and if you destroyed the docs, you have no proof to your actual earnings. Mysteriously, so many bills and documents just disappear. At the time, not ONE single driver manager had even sat in a truck much less driven or went on some runs as a passenger. Yet, they were "Driver Managers". :) The DOT could have a field day with these guys if they really wanted to. Safety insisted you run legal and the driver managers insisted you deliver your 700 plus mile a day loads on time. Always a battle between the two departments with the almighty dollar winning out and always over hours.

AKnightsWife and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey, DNN! Welcome to the forum! Now, as far as your outrageous charges about Knight being a less than stellar company to work for, It's all in your head! :biggrin_25525: Well, at least according to those Knight supporters who come on this forum trying to pull the wool over the eyes of folks who have NOT ever worked for Knight. . .

AKnightsWife Thanks this.
  9. DriversNeededNow

DriversNeededNow Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Hey Big Don, You know, I knew you'd say that so I managed to still keep all my doc's. I'm sure if I go back and start re-analyzing them I could add 17 more paragraphs to how great a company knight never was.

Maybe those "knight supporters" are knight recruiters... ya think?? Unemployment run out?? Hmmmmm I thought that was part of "change" and it would never run out.

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    HA HA there ya go again. I succeeded just fine at Knight, I just needed more, which I found.

I'm having a great time running from Texas to Columbia MD. As a plus my return load picks up 7 miles away. There's absolutely no headaches, no begging to go home after three weeks out, no lies don't really talk to anyone, no idle restrictions, no endless MT searches, co-workers that don't hate each other, and I could go on but I won't.

I was hired to drive a truck and that's what I do. This a super simple profession that can be very rewarding provided you work with the right company. Knight may or may not be the one for you, it wasn't for me.

11. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Never forget these words:

"Its' _ALWAYS_ the drivers fault".

Been that way for as long as I can remember too.:biggrin_25510:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.