Do you play computer games?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Ovidius, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Ovidius

Ovidius Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2014
    While waiting in the truck stop, or when getting loaded/unloaded, do you play video games? I got an old icore3 laptop in the cabin, so a few weeks ago I bought an idle game for under $2, that does not require my active participation. I turn it on once in a day, collect rewards and make purchases, sometimes I just let it run in the background for the music and seeing those animated bars and my money accumulate. :) Funny thing, this game is also about trucking and the name is The Donkey Express, the author is someone who got knowledge about trucking business because there are a lot of sliding references including EDL, logbook cheating & bypassing scales, hehehe...
    The Donkey Express [Axotic] | DLsite
    I have other friends that watch video on their phone all the time some are reading. Another thing that helps, while I'm driving is audiobooks. I love those. Graphic Audio has a more theatrical approach. Got Audible too.

QuietStorm and alvidas Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't mind 30 minutes or so daily for a game that does not require specific time based participation or constant fees of real money to be paid to them to gain certain virtual advantages...

A video game is one of the greatest time sinks you can suffer in trucking when you are actually under a load that has to be somewhere by a date and appointment time. I had two laptops in our truck in 2001, one was strictly GPS rand mcnally. Al we needed was a phsycial address and boom two dots appear. One shipper other delivery. A third dot is us.

A DVD that contains all business numbers in the USA are bought from two sources each year. One from Staples and the other from Office Depot. Boom, we now can call anyone who is in any kind of business in the USA in the first quarter of the USA generally before phone numbers corrode, change, fall off etc. Many are numbers never given to drivers and you can expect a certain ranting when they realize you are just a driver looking to get into a place with a delivery for them in a 18 wheeler. "How in Hay-UL DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER? DRIVAHS DO NOT GET THIS NUMBER etc"

That's easy, a 10 dollar retail directory from Office Depot store of all business numbers searchable by zip code and city-town. And then business name.

The other Laptop is for picture and video processing and problem solving. And yes there were a few CD or DVD based non internet game in those days. (I had a PSIGold Internet 56K modem card for it that just RAWKED dude... nothing ever like it before or since, none of that screech either when hooking into a gently disassembled Phone at the booth. (You will be reaseembling it perfect before you are allowed to leave.) I usually patched into the original phone line with a duplicator-splitter to bypass the truckstop's defenses within their POP so that line is capable of being dialed out by the modem source. (Not in Oklahoma in many areas, they rely on radio trunking for long distance etc)

Layovers, waiting around etc were taken care of by sleep. Sleep first until maxed out and cannot sleep anymore. Then the awake time is carefully spent to support the truck first, Paperwork second (Load) and then us Drivers dead last. (Horse, saddle and boots then soldier last)

We also installed a anti blue light filter. Now we just install software from f.lux (Including the period) and that takes care of the blue light emissions that destroys your ability to sleep by stimulating your body, especially at night.

Finally when it's time to sleep, we turn off everything except the big truck. That gets turned into a giant Z generator.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... lol. Be safe out there.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i only play the games built into my pc. i have a yearly subscription to the MS Solitaire Collection, and that's about it.

then the ther games i have are free as well.

i pretty much play the games when i get home from the job, to unwind before i get some sleep.

5. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I have a 2016 laptop that I keep in my truck. I play games, watch movies, pay bills online, do work, (if needed) etc... It's an all in one type of thing. But mostly it's to play games. I mean AAA Games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Battlefield (series) Borderlands (series) etc... I have a 1TB SSD installed that's got a few games on it.

So yea I play :p

JReding and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    Except for a chess program, I have no interest in computer games. As a younger guy, even up into my early thirties, I used to go to arcades and drop ten dollars or more. All the war games and car crashing on today's million dollar games now does not excite me.

There is one from the 80s I miss, actually two. Exitabike, and Bosconian.

7. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    I played computer games up till I was 44 call of duty, battlefield 1942.. mostly first person shooters. Don't know what happened I think I started driving truck and couldn't afford to buy computer hardware every other week like I used to back when I gamed.

8. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I play around on a laptop or nintendo switch on the off chance i actually feel like it / have the time.

9. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I play Civilization 6

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When I was on the road I played World of Warcraft (still do play it) as well as the other games that come with windows. I have joined many guilds and stick with a guild until they implode. The top pic the guild did a group shot on our mamoth mounts.
    WoWScrnShot_040416_210550.jpg
    Tho I must admit. It is quite the rush to be with 20 players all pounding on one boss with 1 billion health. Trying to see where the boss is (as you must face the boss to attack it, the boss will move and your attacks are useless until you move with the boss)
    WoWScrnShot_021319_073632.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_021119_121634.jpg

11. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I don't have a decent power hookup in my company truck, but I game at home.

I just pre-ordered Mortal Kombat 11.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.