Does elog need data ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by D.Tibbitt, May 18, 2022.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Is there any law saying the ELD needs to be connected to cell phone data in order to be compliant? I have tried using it with no cell service and it still logs the location and all required engine data to be compliant for the logs... But im thinking if i were to get inspected, they always ask for you to send your logs thru the email or whatever it is they use to transfer logs to their computer.. Which requires cell service.. Any of u guys run without having service hooked up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Good question, I would imagine if you don’t have cell service(dead zone), the trooper or inspector wouldn’t have cell service either. I have never been asked to email my logs during an inspection. The times I have been inspected, the inspector stands on the step and ask’s to see my logs, I hold up my cell phone and show the Big Road screen, and every time they say ‘never mind’.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nope, it's not required and there are a couple that don't connect at all. One I know of is Garmin.
    If the inspector asks for logs, they must be able to transfer locally via usb or Bluetooth.

5. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Im not sure if email was the right word. But basically its a transfer over data. Every inspection ive had has been that way so thats why i wondered about that.

That makes sense what u said where if u were in a dead zone there would be no way to transfer over data even if u had it

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Good to know ! Thank you for the info

7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    This discussion brings up kinda the age old question(actually becoming the norm), how much personal property does an employer expect the employee to use, during the conduct of the company’s operations?

8. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well that is a deep dark rabbit hole we can jump down :biggrin_25523: i have my own authority and was debating whether or not to pay an extra 20 bucks a month for tablet data service just for the elog... Figure if i need data to do a log transfer during inspection i can just connect to the hotspot off my phone

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Only time I’ve been asked to email logs was at scale in Mount Pleasant TX.
    was with Landstar at that, but in the end passed a level 1.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.