Does every truck driver have a clean driving record?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Solo Soul, Jun 15, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Gee louise ,

14 moving violations ? ?
    I’m guessing you got a few traffic stops with no tickets issued , so , what, 20-25 traffic stops ?

you need to read the DMV drivers manual and learn what stop signs and speed limit signs look like . And how to blend in with the traffic and stay off the radar of the cops .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gamecock Taylor

Gamecock Taylor Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Same thing happened to me in PA. They scammed me good, never again.

4. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    3 of the stops included 3 or more tickets. most were incurred at a young (driving) age. i have only been stopped once i can think of in my pov and didn't receive a ticket for something. i have never been in an accident in any of my cars. in fact, i have never hit anything in any vehicle, period. at this point, i've got over a million miles in a truck and at least that much in cars.

this might come as a surprise to you, but i spend my off time on race tracks; drag strip, road course, auto cross etc. when i was young i did it on the street, a lot. having tickets doesn't make someone a bad driver, id bet the farm any day of the week i would literally drive circles around you in anything that has tires, and most things that don't.

i have one of those aforementioned 6 figure jobs working for one of the best carriers in the industry. i made the other post to prove that one does not need a perfect record to have a good job. good drivers have good jobs, plain and simple.

5. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    only thing on my DAC are minor(under $200) incidents, IE, damaged mirror, trailer scratch, etc. And I only have those because I was new and reported literally every single thing to safety like a fool. They even put that I hit an animal(a deer) on it, which wasn't even my fault. Safety department aren't there to help you.

6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Tickets can certainly be avoided, but chances are good that you will be driving MANY more miles as a truck driver than as a non-driver. The more miles you drive, the more likely it will be for you to run afoul of Barney Fife on a bad day.

Still, if you are consistently careful, you can avoid most tickets.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  7. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Real clean, the cops get nervous when I pull them over,

8. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    (probably in '15)
    23:30 or so hours, I-55 NB, south of West Memphis, Arkansas, Pulled across Pad, told to park and come in.
    (he)"Let's See Your Logbook".
    Written up for 5 Infractions of Logging.
    - - - -
    Here's the reason for the Infractions: Departed Greensboro, NC that morning with the Owner.
    Stopped in Crashville, TN., at a Location of a Freight Forwarding Company.
    Owner was rescuing a Truck back to Base. (That's a story by itself)
    I Departed to Memphis, south side, to another Freight Company.
    No way to stay there and wasn't going to try the Peelot or Love's nearby at late Hours.
    Departed at Dark Thirty for I-40 on I-55.
    - - - -
    Told the "officer" I was OUT OF HOURS.
    he didn't care, "leave property". Then it was near 00:30.
    (I) "What about those Trucks I Parked near?"
    (he) "They're Out Of Service".
    (I)"PUT ME OUT OF SERVICE"!!
    (he) Some comment I didn't copy followed by "GET OFF MY PROPERTY"!
    (I)"Okay, You'll be Responsible IF anything happens, sir dimwit".
    Got to I-40, west to exit 247, Adult Toys, parked up for 10.
    I remember that night like it was last week.
    - - - -
    Got interesting after that, lots of 15-20+ minute breaks:
    Just about EVERY SCALE HOUSE for 6 months that saw the D.O.T. Number, rolled me around back to "Check Paperwork".
    Then one day it just stopped.....
    - - - -
    Had ONE Trucking accident in Anniston, Alabama in '13. Started OTR Driving in 1998.
    The 4 wheeler that slammed into the right rear drive tire whilst I was making a Left to a delivery at an Army Base. Made the delivery after the Tire was replaced.

I didn't see the car, after 0600, mainly because driver had NO HEADLIGHTS and it was lightly raining.
    "driver" went to Hospital. Car went with wrecker.
    I completed Delivery then off to local Drug Test facility.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You can't use HOS as a club when not legally parked AND told to leave by the responsible person. This has actually been litigated. You have two choices when facing those situations. First, you get in the driver's seat and drive to the closest legal parking LOGGING IT! OR you can refuse to leave and be towed away. Right after Alabama opened their super coop on I 20 I actually got out and moved the barriers and drive up to the inspection shed and stopped the scale was closed. I was out of hours and dead to the world tired. I had a cop wake me and he directed me to leave. I as respectfully as I could told the cop it was unsafe for me to be driving and asked him to call a tow truck. He then mellowed a bit and looked at my logs. Took notice of when my 10 was up and said he would be off duty by then but would make sure I was not bothered. As he walked away he did say woe be unto the driver that dumps trash in his scale house. I took my 10 and went on my way.

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I've had one ticket in 20 years for a moving violation in a CMV. Failure to obey traffic control devices.

Had more than enough permit violations, log book violations, overweights and so on.

One accident, it was my fault, but nothing ever came out of it.
    I screwed up today

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.