Does this dedicated Texas only run sound profitable?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Makingmymoney33, Feb 12, 2019.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Anyone else find the irony in a cheap as sin cpm guy trying to tell another cheap as sin cpm guy he is making no more than a company driver?

Really dude? The only difference between this run and the one you think is teaching you how to make money as an owner operator is yours allows for more miles therefore allows you to go broke faster.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If you’re leased on with someone, I’d be shooting for 1.48-1.50 all miles minimum. It’s hard to pay the bills, pay yourself well, and still have profit left over at a rate less than that.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Laredo is not a morale boost. It's the opposite.

I spent a day in that area waiting on Mexican Tin in coil or something or other. Drayage cleared customs in their side of border, eventually I went and fetched it. (Eagle Pass also... which wasnt too bad, considering.)

IF you really would like a cool run, consider MM Mars. Candy goes to Hackettstown Jersey or maybe even Melrose place IL out of say the Waco Texas facility. You do wait a little bit, required to have a clean trailer and nicky picky stuff which you quickly get used to.

The people are more than decent and take care of you within reason as well as certain candies that may have been rescued from the dock dumpster.
    Note to self* Please god do not let me catch them dumping Candy in dumpsters.

Makingmymoney33 Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    No. I get a fuel discount that we have already seen, in another thread, is significantly better than the best independent o/o fuel discount anyone claimed in that thread. He has stated that he does not get any special fuel discount.

And if you do not understand how you can offset fixed cost with mileage, then you are clearly not an experienced o/o or you are deliberately trolling.

If you do not think that 500 miles a week, on average, more than this job, PLUS a significantly better fuel cost does not make a difference, please do the math again. Assuming you have bothered doing the math the first time.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    There was once 2 dudes in Alabama who wanted to go into the watermelon business.
    Everyone else sold for $3, but they could buy them down in Florida for $2.50 and sell them for $2.75.
    Well, they got their truck, bought a truckload of watermelons, brought them back, and sold out in less than a day.
    After they figured in all their expenses, they found out they lost $100.
    One dude says to the next.....
    "Man, we lost $100 on this deal."
    The other dude says, "yeah, but did you see how fast they sold?"
    Then the first dude thinks about it for a minute and says, "yeah man. We need a bigger truck
    "
    Are you from Alabama, Bob?

Opendeckin and spyder7723 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Jan 29th to Feb 5th

Melons Nogales AZ to say... Atlanta. Paid around 4700 for a truckload, at least 40000 pounds.

Some paid a thousand more if not two thousand more. However the aggravation of 81/78/Tolls GWB etc. And those of Philadelphia. Winter makes for southern best.

1800 miles 35 hours drive time to be conservative. Average speed 51. A touch high Many companies have a under the desk requirement that their trucks proceed loaded between say 45 mph etc. .Average Fuel MPG 6. Total fuel 300 gallons purchasing. 2.50 a gallon = $750 total.

4700/1800 = 2.61 a mile.

Why are we all diddling with that 1.08-1.09 rate? Do the brokers thing we are somehow horribly stupid.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/wa_fv190.txt

86scotty and Opus Thank this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Numbers and figures have no business on this thread, X

86scotty and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Every large carrier gets a decent fuel discount. I don't need to do a bunch of math to know that you can't make money money with a truck running for crap pay. It direct matter if you run 3500 miles a week or 500 miles a week. Crap pay is still crap pay.

As for my experience as an owner operator, bought my first one in 1995. I might not be the smartest owner operator, gross the biggest number in revenue or run the most miles. But I've done good enough that i haven't worked more than six months in over 5 years. I'm 41 and practically retired, so ya, that's a track record ill stick up against anyone.

Makingmymoney33 Thanks this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Not to mention getting to go through Austin every day.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Indeed. If it ain't 3 am, you're gonna hate life.
    However, I did spring for the toll bypass not long ago, and that was money well spent

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.