Doing A Parked Regen Before It's Needed

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Fox89, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Fox89

Fox89 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Im currently driving a freightliner cascadia. Ive only had to do 1 parked regen in about 2 months of driving it. However the job Im currently on requires a lot of sitting around and Ive been keeping the truck off to avoid running it at idle a lot. Since its starting to get pretty hot out Id really like to be able to keep it running more. The problem is I dont want to have it need a regen at an inconvenient time and slow down the entire crew Im working with. So I was wondering if it would be possible to just do a parked regen once a week before the light comes on for it to avoid that happening. Also once the indicator comes on that it needs a regen how long does it usually take before it starts flashing to tell you that a derate is imminent. Appreciate any advice thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Parked regen once a week? Seems quite excessive. It should be able to do a passive regen as you're driving on highway.

CrappieJunkie and KillingTime Thank this.
  4. Fox89

Fox89 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Well the problem is Im not driving on highways right now. In a 15 hour day i drove a total of 80 miles for example.

5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    What's the recommended? Something like minimum 45mph for an hour to burn 'er clean?

6. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    These DPFs like high exhaust temps to burn them clean ie pulling hills with a heavy load in trailer

7. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    In my manual it says you can't do regeneration unless you get a light.

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    You would need the engines diagnostic software to do a forced regen.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  9. Mrpepper

Mrpepper Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    What kind of engine do you have, Cummins or detroit and what year is the unit.?

10. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    You can push the manual regen button if it takes great if not the computer will not allow it because it is not needed. Doing a regen will NOT hurt the motor

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Couple of things. Make sure your engine is programmed to allow a regen during while in PTO mode, or when increasing the idle speed while sitting. If you are running your engine while stopped, increase the rpm and it will allow a regen to happen while parked automatically if needed. Generally the warning light comes on when you are about 80% plugged, but the system will start one on its own around 60%. So make sure it is programmed to allow this. I don't know about your truck, but some Internationals do have feature options where you can initiate a regen at a much lower soot loading for the exact reason you are asking about. This is also something you can ask about.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.