DOT kills sleep apnea screening

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by gtw940, Aug 4, 2017.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Yep, and those with them still need to show compliance.

rcelmo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    No.
    What did happen is FMCSA withdrew from rule making on Sleep Apnea. I hardly see that imo as a win for truckers..That said, you are now at the mercy of the medical examiner.

Taken from an article..
    "In the notice published Friday, FMCSA says the current protocol in place for apnea screening is sufficient. That protocol, spelled out in a bulletin issued in January 2015 by FMCSA, puts the onus on drivers’ medical examiners, encouraging them to refer drivers for apnea testing if they “believe the driver’s respiratory condition is in any way likely to interfere with the driver’s ability to safely control and drive a commercial motor vehicle.”

"A sleep apnea rule would give clarity to medical examiners, carrier employers and drivers themselves about what conditions or combination of conditions would prompt a driver to be referred for an in-lab apnea test, as well as treatment protocol. Currently, medical examiners have the discretion to determine which drivers are referred for apnea testing. Absent a rule, such a system will remain in place. Industry-wide, the system has prompted questions and concerns, particularly since sleep apnea referals can carry expensive out-of-pocket costs for fleets, drivers or both."

Source..CCJ
    http://www.ccjdigita

rcelmo and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  4. tanker223

tanker223 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I do on thanksgiving..

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think we are at the point of no return on sleep apnea. It was never a law just a suggestion and with the national registry of doctors. They are on the hook if a driver meets the guidelines for sleep apnea and they don't ask for a test showing drivers don't have it. The doctors will probably be sued for not checking, if driver is in accident. I don't see doctors taking that chance.

rcelmo Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Giant meals work the other way with me after the first hour. I get cranking and motivated to unload 50,000 pounds of many boxes.

Everything else in a DOT exam is a no. The doctor will have to catch it. They never do. (Not these days.... heh.)

I tell you what... I did notice that everyone in a certain part of our government has made it their lifes work to chisel and undermine the president and remove him from that Office. And they are barking and baying like a batch of hounds day and night trying to get it done. The last time I saw this was back in when Reagen got elected.

Im glad I live far from DC. That place needs not just a draining. But a well... I don't want to wish anything bad on anyone. But here in the south, we burn our trash when it's lawful to do so. And when the fire is finished with it, the land makes it pretty again in time. Maybe that would be best.

7. tanker223

tanker223 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Trump to suspend ELOGS next

Jeck Thanks this.
  8. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I won't hold my breath, at best 2 years, and we will be back to the same place.

Jeck Thanks this.
  9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I don't think people enjoy working with all the paper. eworlds are easy and save time, touch / type point click view on screem.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    1) Do you have sleep apnea? No
    2) Do you snore? No
    3) Have you ever snored? No
    4) Do you wake up at night? Only to pee.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Imagine all the trees that are saved by reducing wood consumption, there's other materials to consume to keep the eworlds alive and well

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.