DOT waking your co-driver

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by chompi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Have you checked the little green book you guys down South have? I have talked to our scale masters up here. They all agree on our regs that say if a co-driver has to get up to show logs or anything else to an officer then it MUST be logged on line 4.

Ah yes, I forgot. Any time a team operation goes through the border both members must be properly seated and available to answer questions. This time has to be logged on line 4 as well.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    Sweaty and chompi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Thanks Finn. I understand that they are going to want you to log it just like you would a DOT check but what tifts me is the fact that you are supposed to be resting and you are in your private quarters and they have they right without a search warrant to go back there and poke at you! I have had it happen several times to my wife and I and on top of that had my wife in her pajamas standing on the side of the road. Thanks for the input guys. That has always been a gray area to me.

4. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I agree. It is a major PITA. When I drove team we were across the border almost every day. Even though we can split our off duty shifts up here it really messes with the off duty minimum times.

I suppose if it is logged properly it can easily be argued if ever questioned. We would get the officers name and badge number and log them as well. That way if called into question we had as much info as we could.

5. jimfletcher7

jimfletcher7 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Danville Ky
    yes they can , if it's legal or not only matters if you want to do something about it after they do it.

6. Mack attack

Mack attack Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    If you are awaken and have to go to line 4,due you have to start your 10 all over?

7. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It depends if you have your 8 hrs minimum uninterrupted or not. If you are running team I think there is a provision for it, I can't remember since it's been a while since I ran team.

Mack attack Thanks this.
  8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I've never been awakened to have my log book checked...If they did, I'd get the morons name and badge number and raise hell because they aren't supposed to do that!

If you are legally parked and not doing anything to give them probable cause, They're not supposed to bother you...However some of these guys (cops) that think they're "in charge" of the highway might think they have the right to do whatever they want and most of the modern day dummies that you see holding steering wheels will let them do it!

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The Full Grown's (CHP with the trucks) were going through the truck stop banging on guy's doors because they were idling longer than 5 minutes last Spring. The temperature was 79 and climbing. The CB was ablaze with angry truckers debating the California Clean Idle stickers on their hoods.

10. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

When it gets hot in California and I need to idle, I sure as hell don't park in a truckstop.
    There are plenty of places to "hide" and idle to your hearts content.

11. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville

I hear all this stuff about CA idle enforcement.... and I've never been bothered! But when the temperature is nice with a decent breeze, Why idle?

79 degree isn't all that hot in CA. Come here to GA when it is 79 degrees with 98% humidity..... Now that's HOT

Flying Dutchman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.