Double brokers?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by frankiekts, Nov 29, 2016.

1. frankiekts

frankiekts Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2016
    are they merely as bad as some of these co brokers that milk loads down to be worth thousands less.

I realized as an OP I made a lot more money from double brokers. They do some insane work to out some amazing loads together for my personal truck vs the one broker that I was leased to.

What's killing the market so much ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pnwtrucker

Pnwtrucker Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2016
    I'm confused what are you considering double broker? Double broker is when one broker accepts a load from another broker and brokers it back out for a lower rate. Land star is famous for this IMO.

4. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Mercer does this too.

Also...why the rates go down...Lots of slave labor trucking companies around that drive down rates. These companies get needy African and Russian/Ukrainians to work for peanuts. Many of these carriers are nothing more than Chameleon carriers that have a regular regimen of opening.....being shut down.....then opening again under a different name.

Hate to say it.....trucking is being used as the new slave labor.

5. Pnwtrucker

Nov 5, 2016
    Exactly. And yes mercer is horrible for it too. A lot of landstar, mercer and other brokers for that matter will work for 2 companies and post loads under both companies for different rates also.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    In five years I've never pulled a double brokered load through mercer.

Double brokering refers to the process of accepting a load from a broker through deceitful practices by representing yourself as a carrier that will load it on your truck. Then brokering it out to another carrier without informing the original broker.

Many larger logistic companies use several brokers to cover loads. This is not considered double brokered cause the original broker knows that the company they are giving the last to will not necessarily be putting it on their own truck.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Can't speak for landstar but here at mercer, that is absolutely not true. Our agents have an exclusive contract with mercer. They can not also be agents for another open deck carrier.

That being said, all the big players work with each other to get loads covered when they can't put it on one of their contract trucks. What i mean by this is say the Cincinnati agent gets an email from a customer at 8 am and needs 10 trucks by noon, but we only have that will be empty in time. That agent will them reach out to every other carrier to try to get the other 3 loads covered by brokering it to them. In practice this will lead to 7 mercer tricks, 2 landstar trucks, and 1 bennett truck showing up to get loaded. And truck drivers being truck drivers and not thinking to ask the right questions, none of the ten even know who has the contract on the loads and all think their company has it.

8. Pnwtrucker

Nov 5, 2016
    You don't think mercer double brokers? A mercer contractor takes a load from a broker then changes his mind breaks down etc. mercer covers the load. Or say mercer sends a bunch of trucks into a dead area they have no contract freight in and they accept 10 loads 4 trucks don't want the load so they broker those loads out Don't get me wrong mercer is a fine company just like landstar but they double broker all the time. And I'll even say I think mercer has more reputable agents then land star. But double brokering happens there.

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Does it matter who has the contract. WHAT is the right question.
    Driver....Want some information on this load. Dimensions, loading times, unload... Oh and are you the primary, because if your not, would you please give me the number for the primary.
    Broker sure its 111-zzzzzzz Call them and get a better price. Have a nice day.
    hahahahahaha

10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If you are leased to a landstar or a bennett or mercer the agent will tell you if it's a direct customer or a brokered load. But only if you bother to pay attention. I can look at or in house load board and at a glance 90% of the loads on there i know what which are direct and what ones are brokered. I also know which ones i can have the agent call and get more money than we have on it. And which ones i know if i wait til layer in the day i got a good chance of being able to gouge them on the rate. Why? I pay attention and take notes and i took the time to talk to the agents, get to know them, earn their trust and prove myself as someone that can be counted on.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Your scenario is much different than just working off a load board like Truckstop , or DAT or any of the other 100 boards vying for the independent truck.

My experience with Double brokered freight. Many/most large companies do it. I have seen many loads posted on the boards, removed and then reappear 30 minutes later listed under a different broker for less money. I have called on some of these and they where the same load.
    The freight still moves. not sure of the final price.

Lite bug and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.