Double Yellow's Company Driver to Independent Thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by double yellow, Nov 5, 2014.

1. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Same income as working a fast food job? IF you can find a fast food job where you can work 60 hours. Most won’t let you touch anything over 35.

No room for advancement? Unless you stay longer than two years and work with the smaller carriers that pay more, or find a carrier that gives annual pay raises, or buy your own truck, expand your fleet, open a brokerage, or in some other way use your God-given gray matter to hustle and get jiggy wid it.

And while it definitely has some crappy times like walking up to a shipper, greeting him/her with a smile, and getting talked to like you’re a suspect in the McCarthy hearings, or dealing with dispatchers who have spent years perfecting the arts of b #####craft, subtle manipulation, and fartlying (like farts that smell so bad you think you’re going to die, but before you can alert anybody else to what’s happening, they have disappeared without a trace), it has its charming moments as well.

I carved my everlasting love for my wife into the side of a well secluded rock in a rest area in Montana. I have spent one on one time with my children during which I have grown in love and appreciation for them as well as understanding of their personalities and unique needs and strengths. I have pictures of incredibly beautiful landscapes from all over the country. I have gotten paid to take road trips to visit family. I have spent more time talking with my wife and getting to know her and working out relationship issues than ever before during our marriage. I have made it a point to get to church every Sunday on the road, and the people I have met and kept in touch with been some of the richest, most rewarding relationships. I have gathered a birdseye view of federal and state government and its interaction with the private sector as well as a general pulse for how the economy is faring at any given moment. Last, but not least, truckers get respect. It’s weird, but I’ve worked plenty of jobs where all you had to do was be able to read and write, count money, and not fart too loud in front of the customers. That’s basically all you have to do to get a truck driving job (and judging by the uncovered butt cracks I’ve seen and the foul odors I have sensed emanating from some of my fellow drivers out there, apparently they need people bad enough that they are waiving that last requirement), but when I go home and talk to people, they think what I do is pretty cool, and they are very grateful. They always have a lot of questions about what I do and where I go, and it always leads to some more in-depth discussion about business, law, government, economic opportunities, and so much more. Try getting that kind of street cred flipping burgers.

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, but for anybody looking to get into Trucking, I feel it’s only fair that they hear both sides of the story. I know I would hate to miss out on everything I have experienced because some “non Debbie downer“ had nothing but bad things to say about the trucking industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Well said. Well said.

csmith1281 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
  5. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    I like Doug and Wendy Whiner better. Joe Piscapo was great in that role. Should have gotten a Golden Globe.

tommymonza, Mattflat362 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    How does one go about finding this “sweet spot“?

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I think if you just search for Sweet Spot you'll find it. I remember someone posted how to calculate that in a topic a long time ago. Or was that Rutherfords forum?

tommymonza and csmith1281 Thank this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Finally finished the whole thread. If anyone was ever well suited to opening a carrier consulting firm, it is double yellow.

Thanks for the read buddy. Tennessee missed a good transplant.

9. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    with whom?

10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Just Googling "register your business name in Georgia" would take you to the page at....
    Register a Business - Quick Instructions

Seriously if you have to be spoon feed this type of information you may want to evaluate if you are suited to be running your own business.

11. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Well forgive me but I wasn’t sure if he was talking about general business registration or doing a fictitious name statement or what, so if seeking clarity in information BEFORE starting my business is offensive to you, you can #### right off and have a good day sir.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.