Driver backing while talking on cell phone

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by gentleroger, Jul 5, 2018.

You watch a "driver" backing into while talking on a handheld phone. Do you call his company?

1. See something, say something

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Snitches get stitches

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And yapping on the CB all day long???:biggrin_2555:

Dear Lord, the humanity. :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

If people truly want me to stop making the content they hate, simple, stop watching. If a certain genre of my show only gets a couple hundred views, I stop making that genre since it is a waste of time and energy. Instead people would rather write a ton of hate on the commentary of my videos and make veiled threats.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m not hating on you or your content, I don’t watch any of the YouTube truckers. To me, videoing someone on a handheld phone under the guise of safety is a pimple on the butt of the larger problems of the trucking industry. So I asked a legitimate question as to why not become a true safety advocate and address the larger issues?

5. Truckdrivingtrailerpuller

Truckdrivingtrailerpuller Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2018
    If you drive fast enough the cell phone doesn't have enough time to distract you.

A driver at 60mph takes 6 seconds to text but 50% faster at 90 mph it only takes 3 seconds.

This process works the same in reverse if your distracted at 5mph backing quadrupling the speed eliminates the distraction.

People who are distracted are just driving too slow.

Speed up past the problem

D.Tibbitt and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Union steward has back into 2 different vehicles in 1 week. You would think it's time for a reassment of your habits. Nope just goes on blindly as nothing is wrong. It will cost him the job. That's $39.39/hr. Some people you just can't reach. Poor #######.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You answered your own question, it (those sort of videos) won't get any significant views. It's like all the plastic in the ocean, no one cares.

8. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I have a hole ripped in my driver side door and a huge dent in my truck that will say that speaking up could save you a ton of headache later.

9. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    There is nothing private about a truck stop. It's considered public property. The public is allowed on it. The owner of it may not be the govt but its considered public. I got that straight from the cop who did the police report after that guy backed into me. He said you can get a DUI for driving drunk on your own property. So if its a crime to drive drunk at a truck stop its a crime to talk on a cell phone at a truck stop.

I doubt I'd say anything unless he was doing that when he hit me or was about to hit me. If he backed in just fine I wouldn't think twice about letting sleeping dogs lie.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    So just be honest and say you’re doing it for views. Don’t say you’re raising awareness for safety. Because if that was your true intent you would tackle the larger, unpopular issues that this industry has.

driverdriver and Troy_ Thank this.
  11. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think I've ever seen a driver backing anywhere while holding a phone. I mean I see them all the time with the headsets on, but I could care less about that. I know when I'm on the phone I tell people I have to go I'm fixing to back this truck up. But that's just me.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.