Driver Shortage (supposedly)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jon69, Oct 15, 2020.

1. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Shortage?
    The only shortage i see is pay shortage! Everything i see is everyone wanting good drivers, lots of experience, perfect record. Bring it to the table and they still pay peanuts. This is the only occupation I know of where it takes 14 or more hours a day to make decent money. The average worker in any other industry cant stand an 8 hour day and make as much as we do. And we kanive to get more than 14 hours. I love driving a truck There is nothing else I would rather be doing but this industry sucks more each year, for many reasons. Enough
    whining...
    As the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
    Offer decent, fair money and there will be no shortage.
    Stay safe!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    The "Shortage" is "created" by the ATA. There are lots of Federal Dollars.....aka your money and mine......to be had out there. The big boys create a false narrative and cash in. Simple as that. Throw enough money at a Washington DC Lobbyist and magical things will happen for you and yours.

4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Drivers are their own worst enemy. Take a walk around a truck stop or major shipper and receiver and inventory what walks in and out the door, and their behavior.

Watch the antics on the road, at fuel pumps, parking, slow trucks hogging middle/left lanes on the interstate.

Just the toothless, grotesque appearance, hygiene and smell of some of them. Why should an employer raise the bar when the next Joe that walks through the door is going to be just as bad or worse?

You're never going to get rich doing dry van truckload or reefer truckload. Or with a few exceptions, working for any outfit with more than a hundred or so trucks.

Make yourself better than the gene pool in the eyes of an employer. Get a hazmat endorsement. Look into tanker, specialized, overdimensional, common carriers.

Anyone who has to constantly advertise to find drivers in this day and age is not worth working for to begin with.

alds, haz-matguru, User666 and 12 others Thank this.
  5. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Bingo, we have a winner! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The "good" places dont need to advertise.
    And as discussed in another thread, the "good" drivers don't look for work, the work and employers come to them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Someone else's.

7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    You need to be doing short haul van in Southern Oregon or flat bed in Connecticut.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    The driver shortage is real. I've read about it right here on this forum.

9. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    This right here is more professional than most of the gene pool. At least he can drive and shift.

Paul Kirkland

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Here’s the thing about immigrants. They will work hard for low pay initially but will stick with it and in just a matter of a few years they will be making more money than the average driver. They will have a nice house and their kids will end up in good colleges and will become typical American kids and act like the world owes them everything.
    The cycle begins.

11. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Seems like since covid19 came along the driver shortage only pertains to possibly companies that haul a good majority of Amazon or online freight. With less people traveling on Planes (Flights down 80%) 66% are working from home Working From Home During the Coronavirus Pandemic: The State of Remote Work | Clutch.co
    This changed alot of todays world especially the Transportation industry. In 2019 all I saw online is the driver shortages both in Usa & Canada but now there seems to be a much lesser demand in comparison.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.