driving with trainer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by atom1962, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucky77

Lucky77 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Did this as well for toyota

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I think most of us, including myself at the time, have a negative outlook on spending time with a mentor. However, if you get a decent mentor, and I was lucky enough to get one of those, the time spent with a mentor is a priceless and valuable experience. Like mentioned, CDL school only teaches you what you need to get your CDL. But, a mentor can teach you critical, essential and useful information on how to do the job, not just drive the truck.
    So, encourage you to try and embrace the prospect of spending time with a mentor as valuable and needed.
    But, that's just me.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I have a nephew whose mom is trying to shield and protect him from the world. 15 yrs old and not allowed to do the dishes. “He’s goofy, I don’t want him to cut his hand open.”

Why not? He would only do it once. And then he would learn. Otherwise he will be worthless.

You enjoy learning. That’s good because just about every experience we can have can be educational IF we enjoy learning.

tscottme, Dave_in_AZ and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Just started myself last Thursday. No trainer. But, I've screwed up major several times. Took my first load at 80k to Taos, and took the same route I do when we drive through that area on vacation. From Raton, up the hill through Angel Fire and over and down the hill into Taos. Pretty stressful but no major issues.

I had never pulled a loaded trailer, but have moved some around at my shop.

The difference though is it's my truck, my trailer, and my insurance. Routing has been my only real issue so far, and it can definitely be a bad one.

I do know tons of owner operators though that I have called for advice.

I would expect to have to run with a trainer if I went to work for somebody though, as I have no real experience.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I feel quite fortunate in that regard. My trainer was 20 years younger than me (I started driving after I retired from my corporate gig). Great guy, VERY smart. We became friends and we’ve kept in touch for going on 10 years now.

Speed_Drums and Savor the Flavor Thank this.
  8. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Obviously, you've not bitten him.

WesternPlains and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Heavens no. I like him. Besides, he’s full of that unsavory Tennessee plasma. Now, if he were a Kentuckian... Well, I’m not sure I could resist, friend or not...

Speed_Drums and Savor the Flavor Thank this.
  10. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    So, uhm... why do Kentuckians interest you so?

11. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    To be fair the YouTube guys don't need the megas for the videos, some of those guys make like 50 videos before they even hit day 1 of cdl school. They all have super creative names too like TruckerWhatsHisFace or Trucker Whoozitz.

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.