Dry Van vs Refrigerated vs Flatbed - Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by knuckledragger, May 25, 2015.

1. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Dry Van vs Refrigerated vs Flatbed - Pros/Cons?

Wondering if you might share your 'pros and cons' of the division you run as a company driver OTR?
    Your input is much appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jaso37

jaso37 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Refrigerated runs all year round. Dry van generally slows down big time in Jan, Feb and March. Not all companies but a lot of dry van slows down. Refrigerated has some weird hours and there can be long unload times and a lot of time in docks. Dry van can have a lot of drop-n-hooks. Reefer usually has longer runs.
    Don't have flatbed experience so I won't talk about that side except that you do usually make more but you work more.
    Good luck

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    what about?
    tankers, absolutely NO cons

5. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    Who runs team tankers and allows pets and has a 1500w min inverter ?

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I loathed the way refrigerated shippers would treat me as a driver. I know it's because many drivers before me had ruined the path, but it just became tiresome being treated like an animal. Not all were bad, but certainly a majority.

LTL was obviously a breeze - if you got attitude, there was a process to adjust their inability to be 'productive' and you saw the same folks all the time.

Flatbed - much happier. Shippers and recievers actually want to see you, help with your loading, and I can't tell you how many times I've been told to 'have a good day', or 'drive safely'. Totally different attitudes.

Miles/pay/consistency . . . another topic.

7. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    I have a little bit of a different experience running dry van as I run for a private fleet......but we have little of the usual cons the common carriers do. if you're gonna pull a van a private fleet is the way to go if you can get in. almost all of it pro and few cons. way better money, better equipment, get your load and get left alone to do your job. do your own routing and manage your own fuel stops.

outbound loads are usually relays to the dropyards or dc to dc transfers

even the backhauls are usually easier to deal with because they're raw materials from the vendors to the plants. the number of outside backhauls we have are a low percentage, but even though I run many of the same customers on outside backhauls as I did with my previous common carrier, I get treated much better just due to the fact of the carrier I work for and the caliber of driver they hire. funny I thought when I came to the company I'm with now I'd never see those places again and find myself going to them from time to time lol

the previous common carrier I worked for it was a different story though. low miles, micromanaged, attitudes from customers, typical bs you hear from most common carrier dry van outfits

8. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    low pay on the foodgrade side is a con for many of us..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.