Easiest way to quit a mega carrier?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dave01282000, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I had a good relationship with my dispatcher when I was at CR England. I let him know about 3 months in advance that my contract was up on December and at so and so day and I intend on jumping ship. He was a good dispatcher I just didn’t want to work for peanuts. He was ok with it and had me run solo for abit then the last 2 weeks I was teaming with a driver so I could be dropped off at my hometown without worrying about sending the truck back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Be aware: one-way rentals are difficult to impossible to do nowadays. Thanks to the so-called COVID emergency that caused travel to drop off considerably, rental car companies sold off a lot of their inventories and don't want to lose a vehicle to another location.

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    The first two trucking companies I worked at got no notice at all. I clean the truck out took pictures and video of it showing there was no damage and then I left it spotless, Sent them a QUALCOMM message, got in my car and drove off. The current company I’m at? If I ever leave they will undoubtedly get a two week notice because they’re good people and they play fair. And therefore if I ever did have to leave I would play them fair as well. Mega companies and some of these other shady companies will purposely screw you over at the first chance they get if they think you’re going to quit.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Get paid any money owed first. Consider anything you signed when hired. Deposits on king pin lock issued, or anything they can deduct. Just in case. They may make a coincidental mistake on your last check, or charge you army for insurance or ?? I agree with giving a notice, but sometimes it only causes grief. Depends on how they treat these situations. I had to lie once about my Truck being in the Shop. I found out from other Drivers, that when you quit, they would mess with money owed. Told them I was short on the repair bill, needed to get back to work asap. Once I collected, told them I decided not to come back. The Guy got real nasty. Accused me of lying all along. He was only mad because I beat him at his own game. I really enjoyed hearing him lose his temper yelling at me over the phone. Lol.

bzinger, MSWS and dave01282000 Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Let them sweat.

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  7. RepoweredRookie

RepoweredRookie Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Best way to quit?
    Like other guys have said, get the truck on company property, and send a qualcomm message saying you are turning your truck in and resigning from the company today.

Take pictures of qualcomm message, and lots of the truck. There is no need for 2-week notice, only bad stuff can happen after you give notice.

Best way for everyone with no feelings hurt or BS happening. Enjoy walking out as they actually treat you like a valueable employee, trying to get you to stay.

Rideandrepair and dave01282000 Thank this.
  8. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Yep, most airport car rentals don’t seem to allow one way reservations anymore; you can still bring it back to a different location, it just incurs a hefty fee now…

9. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Best way to quit is write "you all suck, I quit" on your bum and then moon the driver facing camera. :pottytrain1:

10. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Keep in mind what others have said about rental cars. They are hard to get one-way these days. My last company had to fly me and another driver to orientation because none of the rental places would rent out a car that wasn't going to be returned to their location.

Also, if you do end up having to pull a load to get to the terminal after you tell them you're quitting, don't let them give you any bull about the only load available being from Maine to Chicago or something like that. They mighy try something like telling you that there's nothing leaving your area that delivers near the terminal, but that if you pull just one load a little further, they'll be able to get you a second load going there. Before you know it, you'll be in Oregon with no clue how/when you're getting home.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Call.
    Sit on hold.
    Listen to awful music for about 1-2 hours on hold.
    When they do answer, tell them. “I’m done. Where you want this pos truck?”

Don’t do it under a load, they’ll hit you with load abandonment.
    Take photos of truck with time/date stamp at terminal you turn truck into.

CYA. and i don’t mean See Ya.

Rideandrepair, dave01282000 and MSWS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.