ELD Are there any silver linings

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Trulos, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    GPS use the Lat/Long movement from one point in time to the next point in time to determine your position and speed amongst other things.

Lines 1-4 are set to 1 mile on the ELD while if you are on line 5 (PC) then the accuracy is changed to 10 miles.

The ELD will "communicate" via the Internet on Cell usually. If you are in a "bad" cell area the ELD will store the information till it receives a cell signal again then it will send all the stored data.

Normally the ELD will connect to a Portal via a Service contract. It stores all logs. The FMCSA requires carriers to keep Logs on file for 6 months.

The LEO when they access the ELD they are looking at current +7. They do not see anything beyond that locally. In Canada it is current +14 days.

The Maps may be stored internally or like if you are on a Cell/Tablet and showing for example, Google Maps, then the maps are actually on Google Servers not your device.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    It's a common misconception these days that you just can keep making rules until you get perfect compliance. Never happens and you just cause unintended side-effects for those that were not mis-behaving.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've only ran omnitracs systems (company) once you accept the system, the few times a month they become a problem is more than offset with benefits of ease and accuracy. They make more sense for larger companies and company drivers, though. They keep everybody honest when the office and the driver are all on the same page. I'll prefer to never go back to paper as a company driver.

But for owner ops, seems they may be more of a nuisance than an asset.

5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Oh like this... No "No U-Turn" sign up,, but guess I can make it... this happened today where I live... driver missed the lane to turn and instead of going up farther to turn around... let me just do it here..

20170412_130737.jpg

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The part I think he was confused about is the gps being used to communicate locations.

As far as the storage part of ELD's past logs and these log services drivers subscribe to...I was referring to the regulation mandating keeping 6 months logs available for a DOT audit, not at a roadside inspection. Last I heard, that is still a current regulation.

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    yes,, prior 6 months required at Company level... if you are an O/O and are your own business you must retain 6 months worth of logs, but as the driver you are required current +7 in truck.

Some GPS/ELD's will communicate locations. I know some RM models the ELD is build into a unit along with the GPS for routing. So in that instance the GPS/ELD will broadcast location.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I never saw any silver linings with eld's.

I also don't like being told when i can do my job and when i need to sleep. My laptop worked just fine for inspections.

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    The ELD is not telling you that.. currently your Paper RODS are your guideline... the ELD simply replaces the Paper RODS.... why is everyone all up in arms thinking the ELD's are going to oversee your life... the ELD replaces your Paper RODS and will be more accurate since tied to the truck Computers. No more fudging Paper RODS or running 2 logbooks... the age of "Cow Boys" from the 70's is over..

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The eld DOES tell you that. It controls your life. If i'm not tired. I"m driving. If i'm tired. I"m sleeping. I don't care what the gooberment wants us to do. Our bodies don't run on their clocks.

Bring back the old rules and maybe the eld could work.

Some companies only run certain states. My last company was mainly California and back. I don't see those companies surviving without running teams. And teams won't make any money. Having to split the pay to what used to be a single drivers game.

DDlighttruck and Joetro Thank this.
  11. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I agree with @snowwy the ELD does tell you when to drive. If I get loaded late and my body is not use to running at night isn't it safer for me to stop when I get tired and get up a little earlier in the morning to make up maybe 200 miles. I think that there will be more accidents on the road once ELD are in effect because you will be forced to drive just to get the load on time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.