ELD Are there any silver linings

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Trulos, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So you stop for your 10 hour break on Paper RODS,, once the 10 hours is up you are available to drive.. The ELD puts you on line 1 or 2 for your 10 hour break, once the 10 hours is up you are available to drive.. So tell me where the ELD will simply start smacking you on your head to have you drive...

Your Paper RODs are what you run now... so what you are saying is that you fudge your Paper RODS to meet your needs regardless if you are legal or not.. Get in an accident and see how fast that will fall apart...

Trucks have been around for a long time... freight moves all hours of the day. Freight moves now regardless of the time or day... Your drive 11 hours, rest 10, drive 11...etc..

A lot of coast to coast would be teams, the truck runs 24 hours a day.. time is money to the company.. more miles = more money to the drivers..

Your idea of driving is in a 70's mindset that you will do what you want, when you want, and who cares if you are legal or not..

spyder7723 and peterd Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You control your logbook if on ELD's or Paper RODS.. if you are tired then simply send a msg you are tired and need to take a safety break. I did it all the time... feel tired.. pull off the road safely, send the msg "I am taking a safety break", then took my nap.. yes my 14 hour clock was running, but I would rather take that nap then run off the road. I was never late to any load simply because I managed my time and trip planned...

So don't blame the ELD for making you run loads at all hours of the day... that is the way it is now with Paper RODS...

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Going back to.the original post and title, behind every silver lining there is a cloud.

We, most of us, haven't foreseen what the final result will be, but the revenue will be generated, you can bank on that. Get ready for it.

And please leave the politics in that sub forum, that's 'our' rule.

swervyjoe Thanks this.
  5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I agree,, the Snowball is starting down hill...

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I drive legal.

The old fashioned way.

Never drove tired. Never drove in to the ditch.

Spending 5 hours just to get out of Los angeles. Was tiring right there. If I was lucky enough to have any time left. in eld

Steelhauler1246 and Joetro Thank this.
  7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So if you drive legal then the ELD should not be a problem then.

The ELD is not mandating how or when you drive it simply replaces the Paper RODs

8. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    I love everyone thinking it's the end of the world... do you all understand how many trucks/companies are already, and have been for quite some time, running elds???? Seriously, catch up to reality!!!

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There are more NOT using then using..And most of us that were around long before they were invented don't want them.

IT IS the end of the world.

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    That is the same thing that was said of the horseless buggies.

It does not really matter when you were around. They are mandated now.

11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Honestly, I hope the mandate runs a bunch of drivers off...not wishing them to go out of business or anything, just so p/o'd they take their proverbial ball and go home leaving more freight and higher rates for the rest of us.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.