Emergency rations- do you use them?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Katbirdmine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Katbirdmine

Katbirdmine Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Blue Grass, Ia
    I came across a link offering emergency rations here- I checked them out and wondered if they might be a good idea to take over the road. They are doing a promo currently.
    I have no idea of the quality of these ones in particular, but they seem a decent value.

Has anyone experience they might share?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Emergency rations?

Just keep a decent supply of food on the truck for a few days.
    That might just mean some bread and butter, jam, a few cans of soup and beans.

And shopping at Walmart is less costly.

Treat the truck like you are at home.
    Have supplies for a few days, and if you are heading into weather that might strand you stock up a bit more.

But don't fall for that 'emergency' type. They simply play off your fears, or the fear they can put in you.
    All you need to do is plan a few days ahead.

4. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    Keep enough water too. We bring 3 to 4 gallons (we have a coffee maker and microwave, ramen noodles are cheap, easy and light). We refill after a few days.
    You can refill at pilots and loves. They have sinks by the coffee area.

Besides ramen I keep some soup, chef boyardee, tuna, canned fruit, veggies, not a lot, but enough for an emergency.

5. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    I'm eating my emergency rations right now bought a full size pizza earlier figured eat half and save half till the morning but nope it's an emergency I'm hungry right now

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    MRE Meals ready to eat. I keep a few in my truck. I eat them occasionally.
    Restock when I have the chance.

Dan.S, Hurst and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They're an option but I personally will choose to stock Walmart non-perishables that don't require heating to be palatable.

Lots of outfits are selling those packages but I refuse to buy from anyone who uses fear to sell their product. If it gets THAT BAD where those things will keep me alive for however long they last? I don't think there will be much to keep me in the "survival mode" to deal with the fallout that will follow.

8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Chili mac.... best ####### MRE supplied by the United States Government under the red white and blue. Mmmmm. That mre made my 4 years surviveable. And also cut down on toilet paper use. Ha.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will go through quite a bit of water to reconstitute them. A relatively enormous amount. And a percentage of each food portion in the bag will kind of fail to cook properly. It's FOOD... and good to eat. Just.. eh...

I use:

TheEpicenter.com Emergency Preparedness Food & Survival Supplies

If you get the chance pickup some radiation pills for your thyroids. Keep a supply on hand these days.

I am not a prepper or a crazy nut. However having a few cases of MRE's surplus from the military (Beef burger form if at all possible...) allows me to hand out a few to people who can use a meal in difficult winter time highway shutdowns.

Katbirdmine Thanks this.
  10. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Rations? I never buy anything from truck stop besides fuel. I supply my truck from home when I leave home, water, soups, frozen food, salads, sausage, boiled eggs, fruits/veggies, coffee/creamer. When I do need to resupply Ill stop at wal mart as needed.
    Im prepared to live in a truck 2-4 weeks at a time. Ive taken dozens of resets at crappy truck stops or company yards and I was prepared for it.
    In winter I carry extra blankets, sweaters, insulated socks, anti gel, etc.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It becomes a problem when you eat your emergency rations in a non-emergency situation then find yourself in that fabled emergency situation.

a-trucker123, Eowyn and Katbirdmine Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.