Engine code 4364.18 need help

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by habfleet, Jan 16, 2016.

1. habfleet

habfleet Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2012
    elwood nj
    I have a 2012 Pete with a Paccar PX-8 engine. Truck runs fine but check engine lite on. Retrived code 4364.18 when I look this code up it is not spicific to what the fault is. It lists 6 possible causes. I tried a parked REGN but will not regn. I added aprox 8 gallons of new DEF to the tank.(one of the listed possible causes) code still present. I can not find any values for the NOX sensors to check them and do not have access to INSIGHT.Any help or direction to start greatly appriciated Thanks

trucker91 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    SPN 4364, FMI 18 is SCR conversion efficiency low. When was the last time you cleaned the DEF doser? If you never have, it's probably overdue. Get the SCR doser valve gasket, then pull it off and see if it's caked up with dried DEF. If it is, clean it out very carefully, the stuff gets hard and it takes some time to pick it all out without damaging the doser valve. They say to use a brass wire brush, but that doesn't work so well if it's thick. I use a pick very carefully, then a brass wire brush to finish it up.

That's the most common cause of that fault. Contaminated DEF is the second most common cause. You can't check NOx sensors without Insite. They are what Cummins calls "intelligent devices", which basically means they they are there own little ECM and transmit information to the main ECU over the data link. It's possible that a NOx sensor could fail in a way that wont set a code for the NOx sensor, but I have yet to see that happen. When they start to fail, you usually get a Drifted High fault for the failing sensor.

That's about all I can thing of off the top of my head that you can do without Insite.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    SCR NOx efficiency conversion low. Either your DEF quality is bad ( too old, watered down, some one put diesel in the wrong tank) or the nozzle is getting plugged up, crystallized.
    Seeing as you just put fresh stuff in, if it was too low, some trucks the code will only reset itself after three successful starts of the engine. Then you'll beable to regen.
    If the nozzle is plugged, given the age of the truck that's certainly a possibility. It just needs to be cleaned with clear warm water. Just have to figure out where the nozzle is.

5. habfleet

Feb 5, 2012
    elwood nj
    THANKS GUYS the truck has 95000 miles on it and the DPF has never been removed for cleaning. After I put DEF in it the driver has used it for a day or so . I think if it was that the active fault would have cleared Thanks I will remove the doser valve.

6. habfleet

Feb 5, 2012
    elwood nj

7. habfleet

Feb 5, 2012
    elwood nj
    Removed doser valve and cleaned can hear fluid moving thur system but code will not clear

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I think that you'll need to find someone with Insite to clear the fault, this is out of the troubleshooting for that fault code:

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

• After completing a stationary regeneration (as instructed in this fault code troubleshooting tree) and no additional faults become active, the repair has been validated.
    NOTE: The fault code will still be active.

• It is necessary to use the "Reset All Faults" command in INSITE™ electronic service tool to clear this fault code and turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp and/or MIL.

trucker91 Thanks this.
  9. TimeTorn

TimeTorn Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Turn the key off and on, long enough for the outside engine start warning beep to finish, do this about 6 times, on the 6th key cycle, start the truck up. Should clear out.

10. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Usually is a bad Nox sensor

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.