Espar issues...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Elroythekid, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    My bunk heater was working great last night...... when I went to sleep. Work up and it was off. Green lite was red. No flashing. Is there a way to get a code out of it? Or do you have to take it to thermo king so they can hook it up? Manuel tells me nothing.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Is it webasto brand? Was it smoking out of exhaust?
    They need to be serviced, clean carbon, change glow screen mesh.

4. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    It's an Espar. It was running g great. I fired it up a week ago and gave it a big blast and it worked great. No idea what it was doing before it stb, I was snoozing...

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Sound like it lost flame.
    Happens sometimes. Wind hits just right.
    Shut it down for 15 minutes, then try and fire it.
    If it will not stay fired, you may need to service the unit.
    If you start it, get out and look at the exhaust line, heavy smoke says it has gotten crudded up inside the burner. Best is to just do an overhaul on it. Kits are cheap.

Elroythekid and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    run it super hot for a while, like in the 90s so it can cook itself clean, mine sometimes "loses flame" if it's only putting out a whisper of heat and it's windy outside. I don't know how a glow plug can lose flame but idk.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    It gets carboned up and vent hole gets clogged up with carbon. Here's link on how to service it

8. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Which model is the bunk heater

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That video in post 6 is what fixed mine when it repeatedly "lost flame". My espar has a screen that gives a code. I was able to buy an atomizer screen and an igniter at a close by thermo king. I likely did not need the igniter, but you need to remove the igniter to get the screen out. You will need a set of pic tools to get it out, needle nose pliers worked for me. It was not easy to get out. Also bought small pipecleaner like wire brush to clean out inside there the best I could, like he does in the video. I bought some that are used for cleaning guns (I guess) from canadian tire.

Buy the 12mm slotted socket or make your own. You can't get the igniter out using pliers or any other tools without cutting the wire and now you need an igniter. That is how I got mine out after saying I am not idling and I am not freezing anymore either so a new igniter it is. The new one is just as tight as I could get it in there with the needle nose pliers and it works fine. The igniter was expensive, like $200. Atomizer screen not expensive maybe $20 ? I don't remember. If you have had the unit for several years, it might need total take apart and rebuild to clean the carbon that will build up in the burning chamber. Mine hasn't done this yet so I haven't been forced to learn how to do that. I am considering buying a 2nd unit so I can swap it out then rebuild/clean the carboned up one in my garage in the summer time. I am tired of paying people to do tasks that really aren't all that complicated and I can do them on my own. Sort of enjoy fixing things too. When I get it right and it's actually fixed...lol. Don't go in my garage and find the vw jetta that is...fix one thing...find another issue...fix that, find another....I'm about ready to drag that car into the street, pour gasoline all over it and light that F-er on fire. My caddy should be in there for the winter.

10. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Espar d2 I picked up a kit today and will try to fix it Sunday at home.

11. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Carbon is the problem most likely could be that the fuel filter is dirty and needs to be replaced turn the heat to maximum let it run for an hour. A burn out the carbon if you need screen twenty bucks guns with an install tool if this is being done in the cold make sure you have a windows open because it will get hot in there

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.