Espar issues...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Elroythekid, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Mine was a rotary knob. Turn it all the way down and it still stayed on all night, max temp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    If it loses flame, get it to light again and run as hot as it will go, it won't go out, open the windows to let the heat out. If you have a tripac AC, you can run it at the same time as the bunk heater and let them fight each other. I just got a new screen from parts, it is like 6 bucks, I haven't looked inside the unit yet but I know it's going to be gummed up with carbon. I got a new glow plug too, just in case, it's like $150 bucks. It runs and works fine, but only if it's set high enough to keep the fire going. If the thermostat is set to where it needs to shut off at all, it won't light again unless you ask it for flamethrower mode. In Wyoming 2 days ago at 8000+ feet and 30 degrees F it took 3 times to even light up set at 94 F. I was starting to get worried. :confused2:

4. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Get new screen and tool that comes with it to set depth. Once you pull out plug just use some scotch brite pad to clean off carbon. Rarely you'll need to replace glow plug. Once you pull out screen you want to use small wire brush to clean off carbon inside where plug/screen sits. There is also vent hole above where screen sits. Very important to clean it out as well. Most likely carbons up and you got no air to ignite fuel and it will start smoking and eventually won't ignite at all.

driverdriver and Elroythekid Thank this.
  5. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Running quality K-1 kerosene turned up all the way, for 45 min to an hour will clean out the carbon. Several tutorials on how to do this. Will prevent almost all problems if done once a year, right after annual screen replacement and glow plug cleaning.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.