Espar maintenance

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dna Mach, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    AIRTRONIC D2/D4DIAGNOSTIC AND REPAIR MANUAL

The only difficult thing about servicing one of these is getting it out of the truck. My truck has fairings and it's a PIA to get up under it in a parking lot. Once you get the unit out it comes apart easily. I had to use a tiny screw driver and a pair of pliers to dig the old screen out, but that was all there was to it. It was covered in a hard shellac that I doubt would have been dissolved by kerosene.

Use a tiny pick to clean the combustion chamber and the air hole.

Replace the inline fuel filter by the pump and make sure the pump is set at an angle with the inlet below the outlet.

I wouldn't mess with kerosene. I'd just fix the unit. They are designed to run on diesel.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    LoneRanger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BobO1176

BobO1176 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2021
    You can buy 5 gal pails of kerosene at specialty stores, like a Northern Metallic, but like I say it is hard to find around here and not convenient, also 3 times the price having to buy like that. Gas and diesel you can get at the pump so that’s easy.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    We have it available at pumps here in Michigan and it will be the cheapest you can find instead of in store.

Look for the single pump away from the others with the really short hose, so morons don’t try to put it in their car.

D.Tibbitt and BobO1176 Thank this.
  5. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    People always want an easy way out. Been running these heaters for years and you need to service them yearly and you won't have problem's. Every fall I take mine out and fully break it down and clean just like the video's all over you tube. The most important thing is the tiny hole inside of the glow plug becomes plugged with carbon. This is an air intake for the burner where it gets all of it air to burn. Very easy do yearly maintenance and you will never have problem's. Check out you tube video's.

GYPSY65 and Antinomian Thank this.
  6. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Really? Short hose?

That’s what instructions and common sense is for

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It's really short.........

Not even long enough to set a 5 gallon can on the ground while you fill it.

GYPSY65 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  8. tj379

tj379 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2019
    ontario
    iv ran and messed around with my espar dl1c and now d2 for many years, what iv found for me personally is the glow plugs very rarly if ever go bad, iv took my unit completely apart for cleaning before and expected a mess and it actually needed no cleaning, what happened to me 99.9 percent of the time is a clogged screen and of plugged air hole behind screen, i now keep a handful of screen in truck with the glow plug tool in case but if u change it before winter u shoukd get the season out of it, pull glow plug pull screen clean small air hole out with a pick clean hole best u can install new screen and glow plug,iv got er down to bout a 5 min job lol

GYPSY65 and Dna Mach Thank this.
  9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018

Trucks currently in shop. I will be checking for the clicking and fuel pump when I get it back... thanks.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Go figure, I have some Espar parts waiting for me at home and the heater has performed flawlessly this whole week. It’s been cold every night this week and I’ve really been cranking it.

Some of these guys are absolutely correct when they say to crank it up and run it full blast periodically to “blow” it out.

I’ll still replace the screen and fuel filter as they’re both original parts.

Magoo1968 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Make sure you get the intake hole cleaned out once you get the screen out.

GYPSY65 and Dna Mach Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.