Ever get a speeding ticket going through Denver?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Jan 17, 2019.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Every week I go south on 25 through Denver to 270 and then East on 70. The speed limit posted is 55 miles per hour but I'm usually going through between 3 to 6 in the morning. The little bit of traffic there is always going around 70 or above. I'm just wondering how fast I can get away with going over that 55 limit without any trouble from the law.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Find out and let us all know

BR313, Lepton1, FozzyNOK and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    The po-po will let the 4 wheelers go and stop you !!!!
    Don’t fall for that old trap !!!!! $$$$$ bye bye

Lepton1, jethro712 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you go 60 instead of 55, it's not going to save you much time in that short of a stretch. Since it's about 20 miles, you'll save approximately 1 minute and 40 seconds.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Could be a very expensive minute. Always a bad gamble. I just looked at my complete driving record and there is no way the time I have saved made up for the money I have spent on over speed tickets. But some of learn very slow. I probably have spent 3500 to maybe 4 grand in fines at 350 to 500 at a time. So 30 years later In now stay within 5 amybe 7 of the posted, 5 or less is safer.

Lepton1 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    5 over you're about always safe, after that you're looking for trouble.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One company I worked for pulled a sneaky trick; they did something to the speedometers that made them show about 3 or 4 mph faster than the truck was actually doing. Once we figured out what they had done, we simply adjusted our speed to compensate for that. The big shots in the office never did find out we were wise to their deception.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    FFE knew we had them on that speedometer deception actual GPS speed 63 and speedometer was showing 65. I turned in the truck to shop to recalibrate the speedo. That raised holy hell with the officers. Apparently we were not supposed to know that little deception, until laptops with GPS etc including speed in real time started showing there is a problem with it. Ha.

As far as Denver 55, you do 55. There is no real time gained by speeding, Maybe two minutes at most. You do not want to be branded with today's CDL stuff for tickets, fines speeding etc.

Come to think on it, Denver was not really a place to be in a hurry with a semi. Usually either there or Johnson's Corner it's time to find a spot for the night. (Day)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I don't mess with speeds in Colorado. State troopers there have it out for truckers and love to write tickets. I go no more than 5 over if that. Cars can be buzzing by you doing 20 over and a cop will sometimes pull a truck over for going 3 over. It isn't worth it.

11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Depends on the officer, they might have bigger fish to fry but just this year there have been at least 10 officer involved shootings, even yesterday they were shooting the sheriff deputy for ?. I think they losing it in Colorado. dang pot.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.