Examples of how NOT to park

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I know. I mean it's not like he took two parking spots and caused, by his own admission, the truck behind him to be sticking out in drive isle because he refused to take only one spot. And to post that in a bad parking thread. Oh the irony....

And yes, one forced perspective picture doesn't tell you much. All it tells you is from where he is standing he lined the picture up to make it look like he was lined up with other trucks. What matters is how far over the line he was in the back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I know that Flying J. It is Ugly and tight there. Two sleeper trucks with 53' trailers back to back are too long - not enough room for two. In order for one to feel safe and unconcerned about not sticking out too much the other one needs to compromise. Or in order for one to be parked correctly, the other ones needs to park incorrectly. That's just basic geometry. And there is a lot of places like that. I'd say whoever first takes the spot, he wins the right to park properly, the other one needs to compromise. If both have the their trailers lined up with the back line, it is most likely too tight to for the adjacent trucks to back in or get out in two rows.

Cat sdp, Dale thompson and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So why did you say the rear doesn't matter when how far over the line, taking up two spots, is the only thing that does matters?
    Simple fact is the poster took two spots, then was complaining when asked to move up and only take up one spot.
    In a thread about bad parking he admit to taking up two spots causing the truck behind him to stick out in the drive isle.

kylefitzy and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Frankly, If I had a prospect of staying overnight there at that particular Flying J. I'd choose the DOT scale in Mitchellville a few miles east - they allow overnight parking and room is in abundance.

7. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    If I’m bobtail I park in the spot that would be the most difficult for a guy with a trailer. Or on an outside spot so another bobtail can park behind me and we can both leave when we need to.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Never mind, I'm getting lost again....

9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Because he's taking up two spots. If everyone would pull up some, would the road be blocked or something? Seems like now the truck behind him is stuck in the travel lane?

10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I posted this here in the bad parking thread (that I started) as sarcasm. I did not take up two parking spots. I took up one. I cannot force all Flying J's and Pilots to re-design all their crappy parking so drivers will not interfere with each other.

If you look at the bottom of the picture, you can see where the end of the parking guide lines are. Every truck on the line was lined up with those lines, give or take a foot or two.

If the Flying J wanted to actually have a not-retarded section of parking in that section of their lot, they could block in part of that lot with jersey barriers. and put a couple dumpsters there, or make a couple bobtail spots at that end of the line of parking.

If you think that the position of the back of a truck's trailer is more important than the front of your tractor, you might be a company driver.

I am NOT risking my truck by impeding traffic. Flying J has things they could do to de-retard that lot, as I said above, but they have not chosen to do so. That is not my problem. I will protect my truck as best I can.

11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I am actually still in the lot, taking a 34. I used PC to move a couple hundred feet to a non-paid spot this morning, but can walk over and take a couple more pictures.

Also note that if you look at the google maps satellite view of this truck stop, the section where I was parked is the section between the fuel islands and Adventureland Drive. The satellite view is out of date. The nice, big open spot in front of the trucks facing Adventureland Drive now has a line of bobtail parking in front of it.

I'll post a couple more pics shortly after I walk to the terminal to buy sodas for tomorrow's driving.

Trucker61016 and Dale thompson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.