Experienced driver going O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    First post here. I’m 31, and have been driving for an explosives company for 5 years. Have my class A, tanker and HAZMAT endorsements. Not all my miles are in a class A rig, maybe 1/3 (dry vans with 1.5 blasting agents). We also use F350-550s, and heavy strait trucks. All that being said, I am sick and tired of working for this company. They have been shafting us on pay for awhile, and this year we didn’t even get our cost of living raise. Typically I work 45-50 hours a week, 1-3 nights away from home, and weekends off. Two weeks vacation, no sick time, so-so insurance. I’d like to get my own truck and trailer, and start doing the independent owner-operator thing.

I’ve been half researching this for several years, but finally reached the breaking point last week. Worked 64 hours with 3 days away from home. 28 of those hours were outside in the cold operating our blast truck. Worst part is only 12 of those hours were overtime due to Monday being a holiday. If I’m going to be doing crappy work I may as well be my own boss.

Anyway, I have looked at all the numbers I can think of. Licenses, fees, permits, insurance, fuel, maintenance, truck, trailer... my plan is to buy an older truck (90s), flat deck trailer, file a business as a C Corp (that way I can transfer my 401k into the business as an investment which will pay off the truck), and use brokers to get loads 4-5 days a week in the region (I’m in Montana). I’d like to only be gone two nights a week, sleep in the truck, weekends off and a few weeks off a year. Hopefully I can get a steady run somewhere after awhile. At first I’ll just use vacation from my current job to take days off, and doing some hauling. That way if it doesn’t work out I’ll still be employed through the company.

I’d like to hear some opinions of veteran O/Os on my plan. Also if some could give me an idea on what their actual operation costs per mile are I’d appreciate it. Maybe some tips on getting loads. I’ve spoken to a few truck owner friends to get their advice. The truck I’m currently looking at is a nice Western Star with a 3406e with 400K on a rebuild, and an aluminum 53’ flatbed.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I like - the truck, definitely like the trailer.

I like the plan.

I’m not sure about the C Corp ( we run an ‘s’ ) and not sure if you mean you’re going to use your 401 k to pay for the truck -?

What do you have in back up funds ?

Without going in to excessive detail - my run cost is about $1.05/mile, all miles.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Brokers and Montana don't sound well together in one sentence. Montana is one of the worst states for spot market. Majority of people who live out that way, go to the mainland for 2-3 weeks at a time to make money and then come home for a reset.

easytopleez33, Justrucking2 and shogun Thank this.
  5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I'm not a "veteran" owner operator but I certainly wouldn't transfer my 401k into my trucking business to purchase a truck. I would leave that 401k alone. How much cash on hand are you intending to start with? Lots of information on here covering that. I'm 7 months into being a O/O I spent right around $28k right out of the gate to get the ball rolling.

Justrucking2 and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    It's America. Land of opportunity. If you have a dream to run your own business, and you have the means to do it, by all means then do it.

You might succeed, you might fail, but at least you can say you tried.

7. Yeti 1

Yeti 1 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2017
    If you do leave, roll your 401k over into an IRA. That way you'll have some time to decide what you want to do with it. Leaving it in a 401k and not contributing will cause the account to close and you will receive a check in the mail for alot less than what's currently in there.
    I would roll in over and start buying and trading some marijuana stock.

8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    The C Corp allows me to transfer the 401k money I currently have into the business as an investment then have access to the cash without paying taxes on it. That way I could pay cash for the truck eliminating the truck payment which I feel would get me ahead of the game starting out. It also allows setting up a company 401k plan that I can contribute to with tax free company money.

The Montana thing does kind of suck compared to the rest of the world. Most the loads I see involve deadheading 150 miles, running loaded 700-1000, then going empty again ~150 miles to get another load that’s heading back toward home. Trying to cover MT, both Dakotas, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Washington, possibly NV and CO if I had to. That’s the area I run around in now for my current company.

9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Was that 28K with the equipment? I figured 30 would get everything I need to start

10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    $18,500 down on truck, $6,000 enclosed headache rack\flat equipment. Roughly $4000 for everything else 2290, getting LLC, etc etc etc

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I figured 25 for the truck, 15 for the trailer, 4 for other starting costs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.