Fastest/Reliable mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by MrArtixx, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MrArtixx

MrArtixx Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I posted as I have been busy with classes to get my CDL. Now that the time is almost upon me to take my test (taking it this Friday) I am thinking more about what I will take on the road with me. The biggest thing I would like to be able to take is my PS4 (I game and watch movies on there once in a while) so for when I’m doing a 34 or for an hour or two before I sleep I’d like to watch something or play a game. So my question is what do people suggest for a mobile hotspot/internet connection? I was think about just buying the flyingJ and Loves WiFi access but if I am not parked at one I can’t use it. So I’m leaning more towards a hotspot. I found this one here but I was wondering what others used.

Unlimited Data 4G Mobile WiFi Hotspot Plans - $79 Per Month

The reviews aren’t to bad and the price seems reasonable for unlimited data.

Lastly, please don’t suggest I use my phone as a hotspot. I know you can do this but after a few GB the data is slowed and using it quite often will put unnecessary stress and use on my phone. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The network your hotspot uses is key. You need to research the areas you will be driving in or you need a device/plan that uses Verizon or ATT. Last I checked they have widest availability.

I noted at your link it was touting "fastest growing network". That usually means smaller network. Fast growth comes from growing from 2 to 4 to 8 to 16 etc towers rather than 8,000 to 9,000 to 10,000 towers. Lots of people have gotten burned on cellphone plans that are cheap, and they're cheap because you can only connect along major interstate highways. 2 miles from the big road and your device may have 1g connection only.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If you have an unlimited data plan on your phone, use it. I have an old Note 4 that has an old enough OS to use a tether masking app that allows me to turn on the hotspot without having a subscription from my provider. It doesn't stress your phone, I watch tv, talk to my wife and surf the web when she asks a question I don't know the answer to...all at the same time, without issues (most of the time)

5. MrArtixx

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I am looking into ATT hotspot plans as I personally have Cricket for my phone and they are owned by ATT and use their towers. I just wasn’t sure if there was a better one out there that I didn’t find out about. I also hate contracts so I’m more so looking for a month to month one.

I have an IPhone 6s and I do have unlimited data but they slow it after I think 4 or 6gb. Which if you stream movies or play games (like what I plan on doing when I’m on break and have free time) that few GB will be used in a week. I’m not sure if you ever played video games but slow games are the worst. That’s why I’m leaning more towards a hotspot with unlimited high speed data (even if it’s $50-$100 a month)

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Verizon performance for pre-paid (no contract) is slower than on-contract post-paid accounts. I switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile which uses Verizon's network. It saved me $20 and uses the same network as before.

Just remember your experience & price depends on connecting wherever you use the hotspot. You need to really nail down where you will be using it to know if it's a good deal. Having a great hotspot on the network that is available most places, but weak where you are trying to connect is no bargain.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Get yourself a Verizon phone acct with unlimited. Use your phone as a hotspot.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  8. Manny328

Manny328 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Do not count on the truck stop Wi-Fi
    It's almost always crap
    I have an unlimited cricket plan too
    Mine doesn't slow down until 22 gigs
    I don't use anywhere near that much
    You might want to check with cricket about your plan

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  9. MrArtixx

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I’ll be all around the country as I’ll be doing OTR.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would say Verizon has the fastest and the most coverage. Especially when you get out west. On verizon places like wyoming are not verision but a local cell system that Verizon has a contract with. It very fast but it only works of you have a Verizon phone on the Verizon system with a Verizon account.

Verison has pre paid card the only work on the true Verizon system. So places like Wyoming they don't work. From my understanding.

I have Straight Talk phone on the Verizon system but it probably won't t work in Wyoming. I have 60GB for $55 plus unlimited talk and text.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Best advice right there in my opinion. Using a hotspot when you already have unlimited data on your phone is just redundant.

In my experience Verizon is your best bet for data availability in most places. There will be some dark areas with poor/no connectivity on highways, but it's good on the interstate and in/near urban areas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.