Fed Ex Almost Killed Me

Discussion in 'Trucker Videos' started by scottied67, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    On August 1st, it will be a secondary offense to get caught doing anything that doesn't involve the operation of the vehicle in ND, meaning if the cop catches you running a red light (primary offense) and stuffing your face with a burger, flipping through music on your phone, or screwing around with your GPS, you will also get ticketed for distracted driving.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    upload_2017-5-30_17-26-52.png
    In a society where we’re attached to our smartphones, tablets, and other fancy gadgets, it’s easy to continue our digital engagement habits when we get behind the wheel. But that “On my way” text message or quick bite to eat on the way back to the office can quickly turn disastrous. Distracted driving is performing other tasks that could potentially distract a driver from the primary task of operating the vehicle. Examples of distracted driving include:

• Texting
    • Using a smartphone/social media
    • Eating and drinking
    • Smoking
    • Reading, including maps
    • Using a navigation system
    • Adjusting a stereo/radio
    • Applying makeup/grooming
    • Reaching for an object in the car
    • Tending to children/pets
    • Talking to passengers
    Some of these may seem harmless, but performing any of these activities while driving significantly increases your chances of getting into a wreck. However, because it requires visual, cognitive, and manual attention, texting has become the most alarming form of distracted driving. Think about it this way: a typical driver will take their eyes off the road for 5 seconds to send a text message. If they’re going 55 mph, that’s the equivalent to driving the entire length of a football field with their eyes closed.

While young/inexperienced drivers are most likely to engage in distracted driving, everyone is at risk. If you’re not convinced, get familiar with these stats:

• Over 80 percent of all drivers in America own smartphones and nearly half of those people admit to texting and driving at some point.
    • Texting and driving makes a driver 23 times more likely to crash than a driver who is not distracted.
      In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
    • At any given moment, approximately 660,000 drivers in the U.S. are using a smartphone or other mobile device while driving.
    It’s easy to get distracted while driving, and often times we don’t even realize we’re doing it. But know that an innocent text message, even at a red light, or a quick search for the song that’s been in your head all day can instantly ruin the lives of yourself and many others. There are consequences for distracted driving, both emotional and legal. In our next blog, we’ll explore the laws surrounding distracted driving and what you can do to keep from becoming its next victim.

4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Its technically not a law against gps use according to scottie. So he doesnt have to follow any of that hibbidty jibbity.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    GPS is not a communication device and you cannot txt on it.

6. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    They'll never catch me alive....

7. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    In a post accident investigation there is no way to prove the GPS was used while driving.

8. Blackshack46

Really? A global posistioning system doesn't communicate your location and or any extra features?

As for texting, you are telling me while driving down the road. That I won't be able to input a text address via the letters and numbers? Wow. Didnt know I wasn't texting all this time screwing with my gps.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Blackshack46

I can use my garmin720 to look at traffic, weather and people can email/message me on it. But..... thats all safe and legal right?

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    According to all your warnings you have given regarding plaintiff's lawyers, I'm guessing they'll subpoena that go pro of yours.

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Not worth the effort! Like mud wrestling with a pig, you just wear yourself out , but the pig enjoys it.

Bean Jr., spyder7723 and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.