FedEx Freight apprentice program

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by KMB, Aug 9, 2017.

1. KMB

KMB Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2017
    I've been doing some reading on the FedEx Freight apprentice program. I'm not sure if it's a program you apply for off of the street or if it's a program that you apply for while being employed as a dockworker with FedEx Freight. Anybody know for sure? If it matters which terminal, I'm near the Springfield, MO terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i think it's a good thing. When i was there, it was you would work the dock while slowly integrated into being a driver.

It's good because you're earning WHILE learning. What college degree does that? FedEx is probably paying at least $15 to start on the dock.

When we were Overnite we also had this type of program, i'm not sure if we still have it, but i think we do.

KMB Thanks this.
  4. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    Dont no if you can apply for that, but apply for a dock hand. Then ask about the driver program. I know are last four dock hands went thru that program and are driving now. Good luck.

KMB Thanks this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    sometimes they advertise for both, but as Kim said, get on the dock and let them know you're interested.

KMB and kimbosa Thank this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Shocked they rolled that program out. Back in '12 when I got my CDL they wouldn't even touch me as a recent graduate (even though I had 200k+ accident free miles with the military).

I also heard that one of our Montana barns is so short on drivers that they also have that program in place. Good luck if you can get in.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    yeah......really it depends mostly on where you are

8. KMB

KMB Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2017
    On the FedEx website they show 2 dockworker part-time positions available. I'm gonna apply and see what happens. I have my CDL-A, but no recent verifiable experience.

I've already applied at SAIA and Dayton for dockworker positions with the intention of going through their driver programs. I have gotten responses (a phone call from the safety director, and FB messages) from SAIA, but no interview so far. Dayton didn't have a dockworker position open when I went to the service center and talked to the manager, but he said to check back in about a month...he seemed interested that I had a CDL-A.

kimbosa Thanks this.
  9. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Worked out the docks while waiting for available instructor. Then once went into it, spent three weeks learning it at Harrisburg terminal. First week, yard driving (hooks, backups, drops), second week was driving with one trailer, third week was driving in two trailers.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Saia is just as good and maybe better......I used to be a terminal manager for FXF and I can tell you that, frankly, I wouldn't work for them as a driver......Saia, yeah, I'd definitely consider it.

11. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    I would say it depends on the terminal. Where im there great no problems for 14 years. Line haul are city driving. And i have run into saia drivers hate it. And face-cams is a big problem at saia.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.