Fedex Freight vs Old D

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Wvuguy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Wvuguy

Wvuguy Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2013
    hey guys
    figured id come here for some insight on these 2 companies. i have worked ltl with Conway for 8 years and jumped over to Walmart.. im ready to get outta there and i have opportunities with both. so i was curious what the pay is and seems like i remember something about not getting OT with old d until like 55 hours or something? i know what its like to be on the bottom of an ltl board so i kinda know what im getting myself into..i just wanna work and not sit at home..that being said there is both linehaul and city available and this is in the denver terminals.. any help i would appreciate it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Of those two I would suggest Old Dominion.

I’d bet on them having less micromanagement than FedWrex.

4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Being FXF, I can say that if I lost this gig, OD and Estes would be the places I'd apply first. The question is, do you want to go linehaul or P&D? OD doesn't pay overtime until 60 hours, but FXF is overtime after 8/40. I start at 0900. After factoring in the unpaid lunch, every minute past 1730 is overtime, every day.

If you want to go linehaul, though, the OT thing doesn't really matter much. I'd say you probably can't go wrong with either option, and at least we're not as micromanaged as Saia...

darthanubis and Wvuguy Thank this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    We don't have drivercams, and if you're at a satellite yard, micromanagement usually drops considerably. Big yards are another matter altogether...!!

Wvuguy Thanks this.
  6. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Very good friend of mine has been linehauling for FDXF for several years and wouldn't trade it for the world....I know on a couple of years with OT he got really close to 6 figures.

Wvuguy Thanks this.
  7. Wvuguy

Wvuguy Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2013
    i was thinking city and thats the appealing part about fedex...the OT after 8! thats the way it was when i was at conway.. im looking at the denver yard and im in there often picking up loads for Walmart. the ops manager claims they are the largest in the fedex network and he is short 20+ drivers a day. so hours shouldn't be a problem..

8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Then yea, I sayeth unto thee, "Go forth, and fulfill the Purple Promise, and dedicate thyself to the cause of delivering freight to thy neighbor that is free of damage; that has neither tire tracks upon it, nor has been exposed to the elements, nor is on fire.
    "And be certain to learn thy area, and the times of closing therein, and the times of thy customers' rest breaks and meals,
    "And be certain to take care of thy customers, and examine the Bills of Lading presented unto thee, and make certain they are in good order and without blemish, and that the freight presented unto thee is of itself in good order.
    "Thou shalt also endeavor to work in love and brotherhood with thy fellow Drivers, and the Dockworkers, and the Dispatchers, and even those in suits and ties whose sole apparent purpose is to impede thy endeavors.
    "And when all seems lost, and thy Hours of Duty seem wasted waiting upon a wrecker, an indolent customer or any one of a thousand possible delays, focus upon the Purple Promise and remind thyself:

"F*** it, I'm on overtime." :D

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    After 7 years with them - I’m an ODFL fan.

My 2c.

darthanubis and Wvuguy Thank this.
  10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    this 20 short is something seriously to consider. get in now, and they hire what they need you arent on the bottom.

Cohiba, darthanubis and Wvuguy Thank this.
  11. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    @mickeyrat has a good point. There's something to be said for insta-seniority.

@blairandgretchen is the one who is responsible for me drinking the green kool-aide. My love affair with linehaul at ODFL aside, I'd have to say that FXF might be the better gig for P&D. They're both large companies, and both will have terminals that take on the personality of the terminal manager.

Cardfan89 and Wvuguy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.