Fiery Tanker Crash

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Pinner, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Unfortunate...another bad weather crash that could have been avoided if the driver would have driven for the conditions, it looked icy, and on a bridge to boot. The phone/camera guy was lucky the tanker didn't crash 100 feet sooner...

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    That's the scariest thing I've seen in a while......

Lucky it wasn't a mass casualty event...

4. crazystalin

crazystalin Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2013
    NC
    Looked beautiful in the dark. Like a ball of fire. Sad like other said could have prevented it. People don't seem to slow down and off road they go. Take your time people. Please be safe out their. We all have families waiting for us back home.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As I've been saying elsewhere on this subject to remind people, bridges and overpasses freeze first.

That driver was going entirely too fast for conditions, and he was likely inexperienced because a seasoned driver would have been expecting that bridge to be at the very least, a little dicey.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's unfortunate that a truck accident takes life. Anywhere this happens is too many. However, because of the cargo of gasoline this accident is seen all over the country. I wonder how many truck accidents happened that day (even with fatalities) that the news does not cover. When you do see the big picture and compare gasoline trucks to others you'll see that gasoline accidents are rare. I do believe that this accident was cause by the driver and could have been prevented.

People, including drivers, think that gasoline trucks are bombs. They do burn violently and on some occasions explode. But not every time. Explosions are a rarity and I do believe that hauling gasoline is one of the safest trucking I've done. Unless you get hired by the worse company ever, you're going to know how the product reacts in all kinds of situations. Can the general freight people say the same? Does the company explain all the hazards on the freight? Not only do gasoline drivers get the training for the product the trucks are set-up safer than the normal truck. If the driver keeps the tanks either vapor rich or product rich the tank is not going to burn. The only time you'll see a problem is when the tanks are opened to air. And we would take a few precautions to make sure than doesn't happen.

So please do not report like the news people. They do not know anything except a bomb which is a far cry from the truth.

7. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Why do they freeze first?

8. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    They are super cooled from the surface and underneath the bridge . Unlike the regular road surface which is only cooled from the surface.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Very true.

The driver did seem to be traveling too fast, however, the rest of that is pure speculation. I was unable to fine an information on the driver's experience. Not that it matters. More than one seasoned driver has found himself upside down, sideways, or even in a river, because he thought he knew better. Experience can be a double edged sword.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good post. Cantlay and Tanzola used to have a sign in the driver's room..."Tanker drivers don't have accidents, they have disasters". Not always true but it made the guys think a little.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.