Finding Loading Bays with Maps

Discussion in 'HAMMER: Truck Optimized GPS App | Support Forum' started by Stan-Gdrive, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Stan-Gdrive

Stan-Gdrive Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Hi Everyone,

This is Stan. I'd like to understand how most of you find the directions to a loading bay when delivering goods to a store? In simple google maps - it gives you the location of the Store only not the directions to the loading bay (more specific) - how do you guys solve this problem?

Is there any solution which is good at solving this issue?

Thanks,
    Stan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Google Earth. You raise above the store in question to a overhead angle very low in the air. At the right angle if possible and available you will see how the dock is.

There has been some threads on TTR going over certain docks at stores that are particularly challenging in some way in the past.

Another source is Sanborn Insurance maps, they go back like 100 years into every building ever built individually. But it's not exactly easy to get to that resource. And a bit too much to expect drivers to get into those.

alds, 88 Alpha and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Stan-Gdrive

Mar 3, 2020
    @x1Heavy - hmm yes google earth is one way to check it out & would involve looking at them map before reaching the destination - but is there any solution where you directly put in the "destination store" and it auto displays route to the "loading area" rather than the "entrance" like google and most maps do?

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No.

Nothing that simple. It would be such a nightmare to engineer that into coding.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Drive around lost, running over curbs in Philly, or Boston, since they are both so truck friendly, until you find a dock, they’ll take it and sign everytime

alds Thanks this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Google Maps has satellite view. So just look for the loading docks. It the big open area usually on the side or behind the building. Places like Walmart DC you can see the long driveway and the guard shack

Smut and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    If theres construction, you need someone who knows, Google doesn't always stay that current.Dock to dock directions is what it used to be called. Experience helps more than anything else. Sometimes, you need to figure out approaching from other direction.

Sometimes the docks are around the block and in from under the El tracks. Google may or may not help.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One time I had auto parts for Pontiac MI, hot load of transmissions. I get close to the address and found myself with four city blocks of bricked over building. It literally was THE factory but everything was sealed off to prevent theft etc. I actually was a little late from incessant circling and when they quit yelling at me and kicked me out rudely I was happy not to fool with them again.

another facility would be at the bottom of electric ave in Pittsburgh I believe. You get way down there and sit at a T facing a blocks long stretch of factory wall. This way or that way? SHEESH.

10. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    ^^^^^^ this

11. Stan-Gdrive

Mar 3, 2020
    What about systems like Rand Mcnally and TomTom they don't have any such thing built into their systems by now?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.