First tanker job

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Mr. EastCoast

Mr. EastCoast Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Hey guys,

I just acquired my first tanker job hauling chemicals. I am in orientation right now learning about loading and unloading. How the hell do you guys remember all this haha. I haven’t had any on hands training yet but man this is a lot. I’m definitely not discouraged in anyway. I just don’t wanna blow something up. Any advice?

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    #1 - Ask Questions.
    #2 - the only stupid question is the one you did not ask!
    #3 - rinse and repeat.
    #4 - PPE is your friend!

Tmocha29, Dennixx, mitrucker and 2 others Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Take good notes, in a notebook small enough to carry with you.

Consult it often.

Do things the way your carrier wants them done. All the time every time.

If you take shortcuts and have a big spill, they will not back you up in court.

Wear your PPE, plus everything else wis bang said.

Good luck. There's money to be made as long as you don't #### up.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    What @wis bang said, plus I'll add a little.
    Get a little pocket notebook and jot stuff down that you need to remember. This will help you later and it impresses your trainer, too.
    Unless you're hauling the same thing every day, from and to the same place, it can seem overwhelming . It's not. Look around at the other drivers. If they can do it, you can do it.
    Read all the signs. Learn where the emergency wash down showers are.
    Your boss won't expect you to be as fast as the experienced guys but he will insist that you do things right.
    If you make a mistake, and you probably will, report it and own up to it if it's your fault.
    Never turn a valve or start a pump until you're 100% sure that the right stuff will go to the right place. Double check as often as you feel necessary.

tscottme, ibcalm19 and homeskillet Thank this.
  6. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Looks like @homeskillet and I were writing at the same time. His ideas are good. He has the experience to back up what he says, as does @wis bang

homeskillet Thanks this.
  7. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    The biggest part of unloading is, get your routine down. While you're with a trainer take notes of everything from start to finish. Example,
    Hook up hoses
    Ensure there is room for all of the product
    Check all connections
    Hook up air/turn on pump
    Open all valves
    Ensure product is moving

When you're disconnecting your hoses, lift them off the ground. If they're heavy, there's still product in them. Light, they're empty. Take them apart slow and listen for air hissing. Pressure can mess you up big time and result in a spill. If air does hiss when you're disconnecting a hose, let it bleed slowly until it stops, then disconnect. If it continues, double check to make sure all valves are closed.

Pre trips on chemical tankers are crucial, especially when the tank is clean/just washed out. You need to make sure all wing nuts on the valves are tight, all steam connections are closed, all washout caps up top are tight, and the lid is secured. Lots of tank washes leave everything open in order to dry the tank out.

It's a lot to learn at first but within a week most of it will be second nature. It sounds more intimidating than it actually is. Just remember that chemical tanks are made to withstand about 25-50 lbs of pressure, but they can only withstand about 3 lbs of vacuum. If you're pumping off, you have to make sure the lid is open or the trailer will collapse.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The first clean tank with a new trainee was over an hour before we left the yard.

First time I showed/told them what was what...second time I just watched....

Be careful with hoses that may be under pressure, you may not hear the 'hiss' described by Dave1837 above.

With enough pressure those Cam-loc fittings can pop open with the least movement of a cam and the only hiss you will hear is the hose end flying by....

1# PSIG yields around 100# of force so a couple pounds of air pressure packs a punch.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You are not going to repeat every word you have heard in training. First they are going to tell you. Then they are going to show you. Don't spend all of the time in class resisting the info and telling yourself it is too much stuff they are throwing at you and on and on. If they were telling you next week's lottery numbers you would pay attention and write stuff down.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    homeskillet and REO6205 Thank this.
  10. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

I don't advocate talking to people this way but I heard an old logger tell a first day rookie something that really made sense...He said "See all those guys out there? They all came here not knowing anything. They all learned to do the job. Some of those guys are dumber than you are. If they can do it, you can do it."

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Great advice.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.