First time jitters!!!

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by devildog3531, Sep 19, 2016.

1. devildog3531

devildog3531 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Gm to all...I'm currently a lease owner operator for a mega right now, but will be putting in my notice to turn it in and leave. I've been leasing for 4yrs and I have experienced the worst of the worst as far as break downs, being in the hole thousands of dollars, truck in the shop for wks and bills months past due. I'm also a trainer and with a student i avg about 3500 to 5000k gross. Not to mention being out about 2 months at a time. My question is would it be possible to avg the same gross numbers solo with landstar if I ran the same with a truck payed for cash? I know the market isn't pretty right now, but I'm quite sure compared to a L/P it would be considered a come up for me. But I am nervous about not making at least 1500.00 wk take home. You know it's kind of hard not knowing how things really work til you get there and meanwhile some owner operator in your ear about "it ain't worth it, the rates are cheap or you'll fail first wk out" etc . Need some advice from experience landstar bcos plz.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I'd say how much you have left to take home really depends on your unique situation...what truck you buy, how much it costs you to maintian it, what kind of trailer you pull, where you plan to run...anything's possible.

I'd say this...if you're getting ready to start this with a truck you just bought or are about to buy you should plan on having at least $20K set aside to get you through the learning curve and possible unknown repairs.

What kind of trailer you planning to pull?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I can't see how your going to buy a truck being so heavily in debt and with now back up money. Maybe go back to company driving for a while till you get things worked out.

5. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    I want to do flat or reefer. But just starting out, I'll be doing dry. Just to learn the ropes.

6. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    Who said I was heavily in debt? Those nightmares that I explained in my post was almost 2yrs ago. I bought a truck already 2 wks ago 17500 cash. I also have another 34k in reserve for unknowns. I'm well prepared financially. As a matter of fact more prepared than most on here who have ever started. Money ain't a issue with me. It's the lanes and other ins and outs I'm needing advice on.

7. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I hear that it can be tough to find available trailers on the dry van side. Lots of competition there for the number of available loads.

And if you're going to quit your current gig what are you going to do while you wait to get qualified at LS? It can take well over a month to get onboard...they are very thorough. If you need $1500 a week you better stay where you're at. The learning curve at LS can take 6 mos. or more. I'm not saying it's not worth it, because it is, but the good money won't really start rolling in until you've been there awhile.

8. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    I'm already qualified they're just waiting on my quit date.

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not many reefers - you'd probably have to buy your own. Plenty of flat freight.

You're in a much better situation with a paid for truck.

You'll have to clarify your definition of 'take home', and 'gross'.

10. devildog3531

Jul 5, 2015
    If I could take home between 1800 and 2500 solo without killing myself, id be fine.

highspeed1972 Thanks this.
  11. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.