First time through Atlanta

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sheck, Dec 9, 2019.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    After the construction has finished, it is a breeze passing through Atlanta now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Oh wow. lol

I would try to do it not at rush hour when it turns into the atlanta 500. It seems like it especially gets bad when the school buses hit it on a friday evening.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You go around on the loop, and NEVER be in a hurry.
    Take it as it comes and don't get impatient.

The locals, as well as the truckers, can get pretty crazy in that area trying to save a few seconds or minutes.
    I usually plan for an extra 30 minutes through that area. and that is usually more than enough.

stuckinthemud and Just passing by Thank this.
  5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    i saw a truck get chased down and ticketed Friday for driving in the left lane on 285
    Guy was oblivious, cop was behind him with lights and siren for about three miles before he started pulling over .
    20 to 285 to 75 south is the easiest section to drive
    And yes, the other traffic on the road are unpredictable idiots , so just be a little more cautious and expect the other traffic to do something stupid

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Just passing by Thanks this.
  6. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Coming in on 20 east will be a flustercluck in the mornings. You better get there before 5am.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Come through there at night time if at all possible

You do NOT comprehend the CLUSTER Atlanta will become in rush, throw in 2 flakes of snow and its a national disaster with 10 million needing help.

If you hate heights on flyovers look at the horizon. DONT look straight down.

Petro Bankhead. Panhandlers at the top of ramp, VERY heavy drug activity in the front and across street etc.

Scammers at the fuel pump. The particular truckstop is not worth your time and money seeing as how the threat level increases in the night. Then the hookers start jumping. All of them want your money. Parasites.

I don't see Atlanta as worth my time and trouble. My last year of OTR I was running Yakima WA apples into NW Atlanta off 20 and get surrounded by parasites from the naked girlbars for a couple of blocks at red lights until I fell back on the old NYC idea not to stop for those three lights. Its disgusting.

Its too bad Georgia is known for it's good food and the occasional downhome.

You will like Savannah. Just remember we lost a 5 megaton bomb off Tybee Island when a Airforce Bomber was having difficulty one stormy night in the 50's Its apparently still out there under the ocean floor. No matter how deep it is it's sufficient to wipe out half the state by blast. However I consider Savannah a little bit of Paradise.

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    285 to go around is a mess. 4 lanes down to two on the weekends. There is a Petro at 12mm. Hollowell. Guard shack gives you a time slip. You get an hour or so. Best to fuel before you go through. The place is a madhouse until after 9 pm or so.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I had to laugh too. But on that note, Six back quiet.

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I was coming around the loop once the night before christmas eve and passing a truck, it was raining just a little, just enough to be real dark. The driver in the truck I was going to pass ask if I was alone, and when I answered told me to look over when I passed, his wife wanted to give me an early christmas present. When I went by she was as high in the passenger seat as she could get and in her birthday suit.
    I told him if she really wanted to give me a present, she should be riding with me. lol

BigDog Trucker, Upinsmoke and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Wave000

Wave000 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    USA
    Yep that's right and stay out of the two left lanes you'll get a ticket if they catch you!!!!

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.